Anyone have any experience drilling a tank?

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. More of a silent lurker.

Had a 36 bowfront. It sprung a leak back in February and I have been rocking a 20 long. Today I went to Aquatic critter and ordered a stand and a 33 long. I have been running a small sump and 10 gallon ATO. I'm wondering if I should drill this tank (they looked it up, and it is drillable).

I have never done this and I'm a little nervous to. I don't even know if I should. I've been rocking an overflow for years. I know the biggest advantages are making things a little more flood proof, and noise.

If the bulkheads and ghost overflow, etc. are within the budget, would anyone be willing to teach me or do it while I watch and learn?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch some you tube videos about drilling (grinding) the hole with lots of water. Then get a scrap piece of glass (non tempered) and practice a hole.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the hobby for 20 years before I decided to drill a tank and afterwards, I wondered why I'd waited so long. It was such a simple process. Use very little pressure and let the weight of the drill and the bit do the work. I used cheap bits from Amazon and a simple drill guide with good results. With a little plumbers putty to make a pool around the hole to hold water, I went to work. Took a few minutes per hole (I drilled four total) and I was nervous but it was done and over before I knew it. Dont forget to toss a towel (or something soft) inside the tank to catch the piece of glass that is going to fall. Go extra light on the pressure just as you're about to fully penetrate the glass to minimize chipping.

48716685117_d25d8005f6_b.jpg

48716181528_c3b7483783_b.jpg

48716685402_2712c92cab_b.jpg

All good three and a half years later.
49040187027_e8003acf06_h.jpg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice that you got from the above posts.
Just search for it in YouTube and you will find a dozen good videos on the subject.
The main thing is make sure it is not tempered glass or it will shatter.

CelticReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a lot easier than it looks I used a cheap diamond hole saw kit from amazon also... I just used a wood holesaw of the same size to make a guide with a piece of scrap wood ...just measure twice you will be fine

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the tips. I know how to do it, in theory. I'd just like someone who's done it before to be around if possible. Just don't know also plumbing with PVC, etc. This is going to be my "last tank" for a while (right?) So, I want to do it correctly.

Last edited:

jonneyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also live in Nashville, when you are ready to drill I'm sure we can work something out, I've drilled 4 tanks all successful

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back