anyone have any marine planted tank experiences?

joejoe1055

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys and gals
well i finally got moved and now have to start almost over after everything cooked this summer.
well i'm thinking of making my 75g a planted tank, not sure if i should go seagrass or macros. i would like the challenge of trying this
anyone have any advice? right now the tank is full off rock until i get the 125 set up.
so i'm in no hurry.
thanks in advance

joejoe

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seagrass needs high light and a deep sand bed. A tank planted with macros would be a bit easier to maintain IMHO. There are so many different colorful macroalgae. You should be able to keep a number of macroalgae with similar requirements together. Collecting suitable plants/macroalgae will be somewhat challenging, though.

I have seen a couple of beautiful seagrass aquariums that were maintained for many years with very happy inhabitants. They were in a wonderful reef shop in Japan. They have been taken down since the shop needed more space for other things.

008.jpg

ref7.jpg

A friend of mine in Florida also was maintaining a very nice and very colorful macroalgae planted tank for a while. This tank might have been taken down when the owner moved back to California.

Gulf Coast Ecosystem has a lot of macro available in the fall. I have never seen them having so many in stock at the same time.

Last edited:

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know to much about planted tanks, but I know where you can get some nice macros. Reefcleaners.org has some nice ones. Also if you go to nano-reef.com and search for got2envy, she may have some nice ones for sale. Her name is Maria.

HTH a lil bit.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy C. cupressoides, though. It will take over your tank in no time. Golden dictyota is another one that would try to conquer the world. Although it's pretty, you don't want it waving hi from between your acropora branches.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back