Anyone have funny pet store/beginner stories?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MSB123, Aug 6, 2018.

1. MSB123

MSB123 Check out my new 20 gallon frog fish build! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Santa Barbara Reef Co-Op Build Thread Contributor

saltyfilmfolks and Jomama like this.
    Tags:

2. MSB123

MSB123 Check out my new 20 gallon frog fish build! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Santa Barbara Reef Co-Op Build Thread Contributor

Bump

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  3. Jose Berry

Jose Berry Member Build Thread Contributor

So when I first started with fish keeping I had the basic Betta fish. I never truly knew how resilient this little guy was. He managed to get into the filter and I had no idea where he was. Assuming he was gone I started taking the tank apart. I had the sink filled with water I was using to dethaw chicken and left the filter by the sink. I went to take the chicken out (was in its package) and I had these two eyes just staring at me like....why did you take my hiding spot dude. I freaked out and put him in a bowl. I for sure thought he was a goner because of the water quality he had jumped into. This guy lived to be 5 years old and managed to be an awesome Betta. Live long and prosper spocker.

4. mandi29221

mandi29221 Active Member

So a couple years ago I went into a pet store I drove 2 hours just to go. I walked in I said I would like you to bag this up for me (a yellow angler) the guy looked at me said hunny the goldfish are over there. I said I want this yellow angler. He said hunny that's salt water not freshwater. I then said sir excuse me just because I'm blonde hair short doesn't mean I'm stupid I have a saltwater fish tank. He said I don't believe you. I said let's see I took my phone out showed him pictures of my tank. I said look a dwarf lion fish, a clown fish, my parameters are o ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate and my salinity is 1.024 he said I'm sorry miss you just didn't look like a saltwater hobbyists. I said and you didn't look like a jerk until you spoke. I walked out.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2018
  5. MSB123

Awesome! Stereotypes are so irritating! Sorry you had to deal with it but your response was spot on!

6. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I had no idea the grassy thing I got was GSP. I hadn't even begun researching Coral yet. Honestly, I figured it would be way above my skill level. Had it not been for my ignorance, I probably wouldn't have tried it.

Ori, Newstead, saltyfilmfolks and 2 others like this.
  7. MSB123

“Ooo look at this beautiful green and purple coral! It will look great! I hope I don’t kill it.”
    5 months later- “Why is my entire tank covered in GSP? Why did I ever introduce it!!!”
    I’m right with you! I had the same problem with my 60 gallon tank- everywhere!

8. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

On several occasions, I've seen high school age idiots that try to sell something, even if it's _not_ in the buyer's (or the animal's!) best interest. I've always had a bit of a problem with that.

Worst instance was nearly twenty years ago now, at an LFS in KC, long since out of business, thankfully. Kid, probably 12, and his mom were at the shop, picking something to put in his new 20g saltwater tank. They'd sold him a damsel a couple weeks before, wanted to get something interesting. Kid locked in on a blue ring octopus they had. Yeah, you don't see 'em anymore, but they used to be fairly common. Anyway, idiot high school kid was gonna bag it up and sell it to mom, without ever mentioning the fact that the dang thing was lethal. I said something, lady grabs her boy and leaves, kid is mad at me for killing the sale.

Saw a kid talk his mom into a cute little lizard once. Boxed it up, and walked out of the store, guy at the counter never said a word. Baby water monitor. In a year, it would have outweighed the kid. Oh well. Every chance the kid killed the monitor before it was big enough to eat him.

I get it... LFS's are in business to sell stuff... but I'll never understand why they'd do this sort of thing.

It's not just pets. My other hobby is firearms. Young woman goes in saying she doesn't feel safe at home alone. Guy at the counter nearly always grabs a compact .22 pistol off the shelf. Worthless, for self defense.

9. MSB123

gotta love it! But I did see a blue ring in a store about a hour from my house and I was asking questions and the 20 something guy said some along the lines of "Of yeah, they are totally cool! I have one and it lets me pick it up! Want me to grab it for you so you can hold it? what the heck! The manager saw him going for it and had to pull his had out of the water because he was going to kill himself!

10. mandi29221

mandi29221 Active Member

I have a sdve40. Lol

11. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Not a bad choice. I no longer have any Smith SD series, replaced them with M&P's, but aside from having a pretty poor trigger, they're solid.

12. starypotter

starypotter Well-Known Member

I accidentally made a kid believe beta fish magically change colors.
    I was pet sitting for a neighbor when I was like 12, one day I went over and the beta fish was dead. I texted the mom and she told me to go to the store and get a new one because they didn’t want the toddler to have to experience death. Only I remembered the wrong color fish, stuck it in its little bowl anyway it was just a 2 year old after all. When they came back the kid was going around taking about how fishy was whatever color now but was none the wiser. We’re talking like it used to be a bright blue one and I swapped it out with a red one or something to that effect it wasn’t even close in size either.

Newstead, BootyPup, C-Reefer and 3 others like this.
  13. MSB123

Bump

14. MSB123

Anyone?

15. Billdogg

Billdogg Active Member

Background: I dated the owner of a LFS for a long time and spent all my days off from my real job as a unpaid salesperson for her. By the time this incident occurred, I had nearly 25 years experience with marine systems.

I got kicked out of a Big Box LFS (ends in Adventure) a few years back because while I was browsing, I couldn't help but listen to an employee hard selling a young couple a complete set up (55g I think) and then proceed to tell them that it was perfectly ok to get the fish and corals now as well. All they had to do as go home, fill the tank, dump in x amount of salt and then drop the fish and corals right in. It was going to be BEAUTIFUL! When the employee went to grab a net to start bagging their fish (most that were not going to be compatible anyway) I could not help but speak to them about how to properly set up a tank, the cycling process, and the need to then slowly add compatible fish etc etc etc. I pulled out my phone and showed them this site as well as a couple others and suggested thqt before they buy anything at all, they should read read read and read some more so that they could then make informed decisions. I also suggested a real LFS with real, knowledgeable staff who could steer them in the right direction.

Apparently he came back while I was talking to them and was standing behind me. With the manager. They were not happy. I was told to get out and not come back. The couple walked out with me and thanked me for the advice.

A couple months later I was at the good LFS and who do I see but the same couple, now with a cycled tank, making their very first livestock purchases. I still get texts from them asking for advice. They haven't been back to *********Adventure either.

Ori, TheLadyCrash, Newstead and 15 others like this.
  16. Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, way back, we would go to the LFS and touch two different tanks at the same time. They had steel bands all around the tanks yes that long ago. We would get a nice little shock, so we went around and touch them all. I finally got to the last two ie half way through and touched them both all I remember was flying through the air and everyone standing over me and asking if I was ok.

17. Jomama

Jomama Marine fish monthly R2R Supporter

My very first large aquarium 20 gallons (1982), went to pet store, choose different fresh water fish, never told not to put them together, next day some fish missing fins, head, etc... not a good start.

C-Reefer and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  18. Jomama

Jomama Marine fish monthly R2R Supporter

Military 45 caliber no safety on it. Made that way

Beth Villmow likes this.
  19. MSB123

Yep. Had that same experience!

20. MSB123

Pardon my ignorance, but why did they have steel bands that would shock you?

Draft saved Draft deleted