Anyone have plans for a canopy?

Jason Collins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to make a new canopy for a standard 180G tank. The canopy I have is only 8 inches tall. Which I don't feel is tall enough for putting my lights in it. I'd like to have my lights at least 12 inches off the water. I would also like the make the front of it Oak to match the stand I have. I also would like to have doors open to the sides so I can get in the tank. I thought about making an extenstion for the one I have currently to make it taller but the ceiling is kinda low downstairs and I wouldn't be able to flip open the top with the current canopy design. So I need to have at least 2 doors the open sideways not flip up.

open canopy.jpg

tank.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jason Collins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm fine the flip up front like that. more access is better. Did you make your own Canopy? Do you have any pointers? What kind of hinge is used to keep the door oopen like that.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm fine the flip up front like that. more access is better. Did you make your own Canopy? Do you have any pointers? What kind of hinge is used to keep the door oopen like that.
Yea I made my own and used a black piano hinge.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
lets bump this up, I plan on building my own canopy for my 180g and I would greatly appreciate any pictures of ideas of how you made yours and if you would change anything and any recommendations, etc.

I really want the whole front to be able to open so I have access to my tank as I am heavy SPS dominant. Main reason I want a canopy is to stop light spill all over my living room

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back