Anyone have their Temp Probe go bad?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

LAFANBLUE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been fighting my temp for the last three days... All of a sudden with my actual tank temp being 78 degrees... my temp probe is reporting 86-90. I have calibrated it 5 times and within a hour its off again. Anyone have any suggestions? I have taken it out and cleaned it put it back in... I even re-pushed the firmware even through I was up to date. Nothing seems to work.

OP
OP
LAFANBLUE

LAFANBLUE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I guess I wasn't clear... because I posted in the Neptune section. This is my Apex system that is causing the issue... I am planning on going to pick up a second probe today... But I do have more to add. Now when I try to calibrate the temp prob in the old interface nothing happens it just keeps the old temp. We will see how the new probe works.

OP
OP
LAFANBLUE

LAFANBLUE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... in case anyone cares. The probes can go bad. Picked up a new one and all is back to normal.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I guess I will be ordering a new one to have on hand. Thanks for the information! How old was the first one?

Shelley

OP
OP
LAFANBLUE

LAFANBLUE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just over a year... Honestly thought something was up with my main unit not the probe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, my temperature probes are not made by Neptune, but I had many that were claimed to be for long term immersion go bad over the years, and water penetration was the apparent problem. Both stainless steel probes and plastic coated.

I solved the problem be sending the probe half way down a 4-6 foot length of air line tubing, connecting the open ends to each other with a twist tie, and sending the closed "middle" down into the water with the open ends above the water line.

This way no water ever directly contacted the probe and none ever failed after that.

The response time was certainly reduced, but there's no need at all for fast response time in a reef application.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea Randy! I am glad this post came up before I needed it!

Shelley

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use no Sissy temp probe. I took this off an old boiler in the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan about 25 years ago, it is probably from the 50s. Accurate to with in 10 degrees I would imagine. Close enough for me.
Is this bad?

You can see it on my wall here next to my very modern skimmer and cell phone. The cord is just so I don't lose it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back