OP
OP
duke62

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it's hard to get the point of a thread across. When english isn't your native tongue, it makes communication even harder.

Perhaps @duke62 can clarify the purpose for this thread?

I assume he suspects frozen food to be the culprit for some stn/rtn problems, and polling the crowd to find a needle in a haystack.

I think duke62 is being vague on purpose to keep the frozen food he uses from being bashed. But it leads to so much confusion.
No it’s pretty cut and dry. Just let me know if you’re having issues and what brand of mysis you use. I was typing fast and messed up. By the time I opened R2R again it was to late to edit my post. The reason for this post is I opened a new flat pack of mysis 3 weeks ago. My tank was running on all cylinders for a year and a half. Nothing changed. Lights are never touched, flow is never messed with. Alk, cal and mag are never swinging. Only thing that changed was this food and added a UV a month ago. Polyps in all my birdsnests retracted, WD and Hawkins STNed some acros started to darken. Also some LPS closed up in that time which are all opened up again. Got a rust colored algae not Dinos took over the bottom rock work and barebottom. Turned off my UV and stopped using this brand of mysis. Within 3 days polyps came back out and WD stopped stning, and rust colored algae is going away. Everything out of nowhere Went back to normal pretty much. I’ve been in this game a long time. I have to say I think I got a bad batch of mysis. Maybe they collected this batch in a bad area but I’m pretty sure it was tainted somehow so I want to know who else has had issues out of nowhere and what brand of food are you using.

Last edited:

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The juices are full of phosphates. I tested some thawed mysis in a cup of tank water, 2.8. So now I rinse all frozen food before feeding fish. I always have cyano outbreak when I get lazy and not rinse the mysis. Do you run GFO? Or water changes? May have been just a spike in phosphates cause you STN.

OP
OP
duke62

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The juices are full of phosphates. I tested some thawed mysis in a cup of tank water, 2.8. So now I rinse all frozen food before feeding fish. I always have cyano outbreak when I get lazy and not rinse the mysis. Do you run GFO? Or water changes? May have been just a spike in phosphates cause you STN.
I rinse all my food for a minute everyday while squeezing the food in the net. It’s not cyano. Po4 did not spike

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s pretty cut and dry. Just let me know if you’re having issues and what brand of mysis you use. I was typing fast and messed up. By the time I opened R2R again it was to late to edit my post. The reason for this post is I opened a new flat pack of mysis 3 weeks ago. My tank was running on all cylinders for a year and a half. Nothing changed. Lights are never touched, flow is never messed with. Alk, cal and mag are never swinging. Only thing that changed was this food and added a UV a month ago. Polyps in all my birdsnests retracted, WD and Hawkins STNed some acros started to darken. Also some LPS closed up in that time which are all opened up again. Got a rust colored algae not Dinos took over the bottom rock work and barebottom. Turned off my UV and stopped using this brand of mysis. Within 3 days polyps came back out and WD stopped stning, and rust colored algae is going away. Everything out of nowhere Went back to normal pretty much. I’ve been in this game a long time. I have to say I think I got a bad batch of mysis. Maybe they collected this batch in a bad area but I’m pretty sure it was tainted somehow so I want to know who else has had issues out of nowhere and what brand of food are you using.
I think your point of the thread is pretty black and white myself. I understand what you're saying; it's kind of like when someone asks "Has anyone ever had this problem....xxxxx" and one person shouts "NO!" to answer for the whole. I've only used Hikari mysis, I've lost random frags here and there, but I personally don't think that's why I've had the very few, random losses.

The moment you mentioned UV, it's no longer easy to point the finger to the mysis. In your case, it could be either of the two new things: the mysis or the added UV killing off potential beneficial microbes or whatever else it may do.

Last edited:

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grab whatever mysis is in stock and lowest cost. Sometimes its Ocean Nutrition, Hikari, PE. Neverhad issues with any of the food causing sps death.

MHascsak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a WD RTN yesterday. Usually feed rods bit switched over to dr. G right before then.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back