Anyone keep FW Discus?

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Discus Angel hybrid community tank been doing well but lately one of my discus has been bullied and i would like to find him a better home.

Its a cobalt blue discus from wet spot in oregon. I am in Orlado Florida their fish have been great the tank is great and all other fish especially my other discus(reds i meant to get more blues but got side tracked with my new marine tank) i think its just being bullied because its different and want to save him/her.

If anyone is willing to take it... free and free(well, ill pay) shipping if not too far or meet for hand off. I just dont want the fish to suffer.

Cheers

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps wt/separate the fish till you find a new home I’m in the uk so I can’t help but removing the fish from the stress will help till you find a new home or maybe a lfs will take the fish in

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i could but my space is limited and qt him would mean a bucket and i dont want to stress him more moving there. Its very heavily planted and he is fine for hidi g placed but today he didnt come out for dinner snd went dark and whrn i found him i saw some spined nipped at so i hoping i can rehome him before it gets worse

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i could but my space is limited and qt him would mean a bucket and i dont want to stress him more moving there. Its very heavily planted and he is fine for hidi g placed but today he didnt come out for dinner snd went dark and whrn i found him i saw some spined nipped at so i hoping i can rehome him before it gets worse
Situation sounds like the fish could end up passing if it goes on for much longer I’d get in contact with some lfs’s to see if they can take him off your hands

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many do you have? Have you tried rearranging the decor?
They are cichlids, so a hierarchy is going to occur, one will always be at the tail end (even with discus being so mellow I’d imagine this would be the case - haven’t kept them myself).

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had mixed success with large PVC pipe/fittings in the tank and suction cupped to the walls of tank. It was a trick I saw an old world cichlid keeper use to create areas of refuge from aggression. Could also try mixing up the tank decor, another aggressive fish keeping method.

I love discus but I'm many states away and my tank is shut down.

Here’s a picture where you can sort of see the “hides” I made. Sideways flower pots can also work in a pinch.

I will also agree with the above, that might need to try and find some where local to take the fish if you are worried the fish will be killed relatively quick.

315FE9E0-0A2F-41DA-B91F-7C2557F26639.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i was first looking for discus i couldnt find any. Could you list me some privately is fine if its against any forum rules to link them in a thread! Thanks!

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many do you have? Have you tried rearranging the decor?
They are cichlids, so a hierarchy is going to occur, one will always be at the tail end (even with discus being so mellow I’d imagine this would be the case - haven’t kept them myself).
I only have 1 blue and this is exactly the problem i think i am having. It was an angel first i thought itd be ok as the angels were very very small when i added the discus the angels srt of herded the discus at first like you would expect from certain dogs. Didnt take long though for the red discus' to start holding their ground and since its been harmony... this was months ago... wasnt until a few days ago my lone blue started hiding.

Its ueavily planted theres 90 or so fish in it and only 15 or so are ever visably at any given time. He has plenty of apace to hide ao i havent flagges this thread as an emergancy. Ive just seen today he didnt cole out for dinner and can see some nipping on his spines that werent there yesterday or this morning. And he had gone about 80% black(black substrate blue back wall) but he hangs around mostly lightish green and red plants. Its actually the brkghtest part of the tanks scape

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 1 blue and this is exactly the problem i think i am having. It was an angel first i thought itd be ok as the angels were very very small when i added the discus the angels srt of herded the discus at first like you would expect from certain dogs. Didnt take long though for the red discus' to start holding their ground and since its been harmony... this was months ago... wasnt until a few days ago my lone blue started hiding.

Its ueavily planted theres 90 or so fish in it and only 15 or so are ever visably at any given time. He has plenty of apace to hide ao i havent flagges this thread as an emergancy. Ive just seen today he didnt cole out for dinner and can see some nipping on his spines that werent there yesterday or this morning. And he had gone about 80% black(black substrate blue back wall) but he hangs around mostly lightish green and red plants. Its actually the brkghtest part of the tanks scape
Angels can be very very aggressive especially when spawning id keep discus without angels and some smaller fish as differ fish tetras ect

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed and i took on this idea expecting a challenge and expecting the angels to be a problem. And they tried to be... but the red discus tamed then the biggest mainly. He picked on everyone, every angel twice his size and every discus half his size but as the discus grew they became friends and stopped taking any guff from the angels... the lone blue discus would once in a while get chased away but it never looked mconsistant or serious. And the other smaller reds would often stick with the blue. But that seems to have ended and the poor lad is on his own and just hiding

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ibrealized i had the ato res i replaced from my sw tank and thoughtaybe i can plug its drain and use it as a quick make shift hospital.

Unfortunately by the time i realized this it was too late.

Ultimately its made me decide to rescape the tank and i think i have a good idea for it. Currently i am offering i think far much to appease the bottom dwellers and potentially hiding potential problems for trying to keep a hybrid discus angel community.

Also found a flame appisto gone as i was removing the discus and his body shows no problems so i am going to have to put some more attention to this tank before i get my sw tank started. This tank has been solid without losses and stress signs of bulling is one thing a seeming random loss is a completely different story. Especially this appisto he would greet me every morning even waited for me to flash his fins amd say hello. No signs just dead same day as the discus.

So its been a bad past couple days wither other life factors as well well. Time to revert focus and make things better before thinking its ok to move forward in all othrr ventures.

Appreciate all the responses, held and suggestions. Turns out its just time to be better at this!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back