Anyone kept more than one mimic file fish together?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new little guy / girl is about an inch huge, I actually researched this and thought about it for a couple of weeks, I also have tassle and aiptasia files.
Has anyone kept more than one, my lfs has two even smaller ones?! :)

DSC_0004 (1024x728) (2).jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you'll luck out and get a male/female pair. Not really sure hiw 2 females react, but 2 males will not tolerate each other. I'm not exactly sure how to sex this specific species, but other filefish, the male will have a bristlely spot right at the beginning of the tzil.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you'll luck out and get a male/female pair. Not really sure hiw 2 females react, but 2 males will not tolerate each other. I'm not exactly sure how to sex this specific species, but other filefish, the male will have a bristlely spot right at the beginning of the tzil.

I hope so, I will get pics to see if we can figure it out, until I saw one I didn't realise how pretty they are. :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this pic of a pair, the male is in the foreground. You can sex them just like other filefish, you can see the bristles at the caudal pedunkle(the area just before the tail). They would have to reach a certain maturaty before you could tell.

pair-mimic-saddle-filefish-1024x682.jpg

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool fish @najer , are they reef safe? If not what do they go after in your experience? Sry to hijack, I like your fish tho and curious if your willing to share. Obviously no experience but good luck finding a m/f pair!

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool fish @najer , are they reef safe? If not what do they go after in your experience? Sry to hijack, I like your fish tho and curious if your willing to share. Obviously no experience but good luck finding a m/f pair!

I have only had them a few weeks and so far they appear reef safe, two seem to be friends but with the smaller ones only being maybe an inch it isn't possible to sex them yet.
Thanks for the info @lion king .

DSC_0003 (1024x683).jpg

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really got my fingers crossed that this will work out. I'm a huge fan of the species but never kept them together. I did keep one and a valentini which got on remarkably smoothly.

I hope your experience varies but they don't tend to be particularly reef safe when larger. Some take a liking to cuc, others corals and if you are unlucky both, but it's a risk I'd take to keep a pair so good luck and keep us updated.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had one for months. Very reef safe. Loves nori

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have issues still with a wrasse I am trying to catch, it hates the mimics!
So, through the day the mimics live in the cube end of my tank and once the wrasse hits the sand I remove the trap that is blocking the entry / exit.
Middle sized one of the three. :)

DSC_0005 (1024x736).jpg

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess re the above post, that is the middle sized one above. Things have changed!
For a week or so now the biggest one has been besties with the smallest one but has been very anti the middle one so this evening I moved the middle one to my little tank.
I failed at the trio but at least all three are still alive! :)

DSC_0003 (1024x719).jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess re the above post, that is the middle sized one above. Things have changed!
For a week or so now the biggest one has been besties with the smallest one but has been very anti the middle one so this evening I moved the middle one to my little tank.
I failed at the trio but at least all three are still alive! :)

DSC_0003 (1024x719).jpg

Great pics by the way. Let us when you are able to sex them, I'm sure that will tell the tale.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back