Anyone know what my Koran Angel has

blingbling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my Koran Angel flashing g on the sand bed about 3 weeks ago so I removed him as I thought it was flukes
But now he looks like this so I don’t think it is flukes.
Any help with a diagnosis would really be appreciated
Thanks
149143B8-BEA8-4A89-A14D-C6B2193302E3.png
875D7D7B-1C61-4C1F-B115-6D115C5BD2F9.png 1583D4AB-2B78-4E74-A396-24722CF77720.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First thanks for the pictures in white light. Second - Its hard to tell from the pictures - do you see any flecks of white - to me it looks like velvet - but without more history im tempted to say no. There have been a number of these 'discoloration' threads lately. @Jay Hemdal ? Otherwise - did you QT - with what? Where is it from? How are the other fish? etc etc. You can look at my signature to find a link to answer questions

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I noticed my Koran Angel flashing g on the sand bed about 3 weeks ago so I removed him as I thought it was flukes
But now he looks like this so I don’t think it is flukes.
Any help with a diagnosis would really be appreciated
Thanks
149143B8-BEA8-4A89-A14D-C6B2193302E3.png
875D7D7B-1C61-4C1F-B115-6D115C5BD2F9.png 1583D4AB-2B78-4E74-A396-24722CF77720.png
Looking at eyes and susceptibility, may very well be flukes. Some signs are yawning effect or labored breathing, loss of appetite, darting out of the clear blue
If you see this, chances are flukes
Velvet is other possibllity but need clearer pics to confirm
Some velvet symptoms similar to flukes plus swimming in path of power heads or gasping at surface

OP
OP
B

blingbling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thanks for the pictures in white light. Second - Its hard to tell from the pictures - do you see any flecks of white - to me it looks like velvet - but without more history im tempted to say no. There have been a number of these 'discoloration' threads lately. @Jay Hemdal ? Otherwise - did you QT - with what? Where is it from? How are the other fish? etc etc. You can look at my signature to find a link to answer questions
Thanks for getting back to me I QT him on his own for a week treating for fluke then returned him to my main tank.
I’ve had him about 2months from a supplier in London I did lose my gramma last week which I also ha QT. The Koran seems to swim at the top corners of the tank sort of hiding put he is still eating ok
He was back in the tank with the gramma and a clown for a while the clown seems ok

OP
OP
B

blingbling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at eyes and susceptibility, may very well be flukes. Some signs are yawning effect or labored breathing, loss of appetite, darting out of the clear blue
If you see this, chances are flukes
Velvet is other possibllity but need clearer pics to confirm
Some velvet symptoms similar to flukes plus swimming in path of power heads or gasping at surface
Thank for reply He is eating still but does swim in the top corners of the power heads but doesn’t seem to be gasping to me.
I QT and treated for flukes with NT Labs anti flukes for a week and but now he’s like this

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for reply He is eating still but does swim in the top corners of the power heads but doesn’t seem to be gasping to me.
I QT and treated for flukes with NT Labs anti flukes for a week and but now he’s like this

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The angel looks like it has Neobenedenia flukes. I'm not sure flubendazole (NT Lab's product) works against those, but it might. The trouble is, Neobenedenia eggs are resistant to medications. You can kill the adult flukes on the fish, but just one egg left in the tank can hatch out a week to ten days later and reinfect the fish.

I can't be positive it is Neo, but if you give the angel a 5 minute FW dip and it is Neo, you'll see them drop off to the bottom of the container, looking like tiny ovals.

Eradicating Neo is tough; is use half salinity for 35 days. Any unhatched eggs die out and that breaks the life cycle. Other people use 3 to 5 weekly treatments of praziquantel (that can be done with invertebrates in the tank).

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
for flukes. you will need to treated for at least a week-8 days and change water and treat again for 8 days or extended. A 5 minute FW would help for relief but fish appears stressed already.

OP
OP
B

blingbling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The angel looks like it has Neobenedenia flukes. I'm not sure flubendazole (NT Lab's product) works against those, but it might. The trouble is, Neobenedenia eggs are resistant to medications. You can kill the adult flukes on the fish, but just one egg left in the tank can hatch out a week to ten days later and reinfect the fish.

I can't be positive it is Neo, but if you give the angel a 5 minute FW dip and it is Neo, you'll see them drop off to the bottom of the container, looking like tiny ovals.

Eradicating Neo is tough; is use half salinity for 35 days. Any unhatched eggs die out and that breaks the life cycle. Other people use 3 to 5 weekly treatments of praziquantel (that can be done with invertebrates in the tank).

Jay
Thank you so much Jay

OP
OP
B

blingbling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
You know when you say half salinity what measurements would you recommend

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know when you say half salinity what measurements would you recommend
For Neobenedenia you lower the salinity to 16 ppt gradually over 48 hours. That equates to a specific gravity of 1.012
Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 88 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back