Anyone know what skimmers these are?

FishStixx2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has two older reef octopus skimmers laying around. I was hoping one would work for my mixed reef. Anybody have a clue what these are? They have a little black table they sit on. He has the collection cups, just not attached atm. One is bigger than the other. I'm hoping to find an instruction manual to get one running if they will work for my 90g. Can't seem to find em online.

20210702_161943_01.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus is a good skimmer. They have proprietary pumps that are 2-3 hundred each. Those are older skimmers, the new ones have more advanced cone shapes and are probably more efficient. I bought a newer skimmer used about 10 years ago and just replaced the bubble blaster pump (external SSS3000?) or something like that.

All that to say, try and find a newer one with a pump, or buy a new one with the pump and you will not spend that much more than fixing up the old ones and have a new, very reliable skimmer that will last and last.

Sorry not to answer your question exactly but hopefully my reply is helpful to you for moving forward.

Maybe someone on here will have the old pump still working with a cracked body? GL! )

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen one of those in awhile. Lol.
I've never really ran a reef octopus just because of their.popularity. I always.go against the rift. Lol.
Let me look at an old sales magazine I have 1 sec.
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nvm. The sales magazine is bubble blaster pumps and newer. These two skimmers are prior.
Your best bet is to contact them directly. They will tell you the model number or make and probably try and sell you a newer pump that will still work with it as they probably don't carry the older pumps.
D

Attachments

• 20210705_120907.jpg
    20210705_120907.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
FishStixx2

FishStixx2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of getting the bubble magus curve elite series skimmer. Not sure if I need a 5 or 7 but they seem to be super popular. May just throw it on the credit card and not tell the wife lol

OP
OP
FishStixx2

FishStixx2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nvm. The sales magazine is bubble blaster pumps and newer. These two skimmers are prior.
Your best bet is to contact them directly. They will tell you the model number or make and probably try and sell you a newer pump that will still work with it as they probably don't carry the older pumps.
D

That's my plan. I was hoping maybe the experts here could save me the wait of their reply.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of getting the bubble magus curve elite series skimmer. Not sure if I need a 5 or 7 but they seem to be super popular. May just throw it on the credit card and not tell the wife lol
Nice idea to order something for her at the same time and claim it was a mix-up! :) I'm sure she will understand.

The BM skimmers are ok and will probably work fantastic! GL!

OP
OP
FishStixx2

FishStixx2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen2. Nw series
Hths you
D

That's it!!! Thank u so much. I found an older 2009 article on them! I'm using an aqua-c remora I bought off of the marketplace and it does ok. I'm gonna see if the reef octopus does any better. If not. I'll order a new one. Just spent so much on coral I really should wait a bit lol

Attachments

• 20210705_154128.jpg
    20210705_154128.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 23

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's it!!! Thank u so much. I found an older 2009 article on them! I'm using an aqua-c remora I bought off of the marketplace and it does ok. I'm gonna see if the reef octopus does any better. If not. I'll order a new one. Just spent so much on coral I really should wait a bit lol
I threw my Ramora into the recycle bin. I tired a lot of different skimmers over the years and the newer skimmers generally make better foam and run quieter and are more reliable requiring fewer adjustments to keep them running smoothly. Ie, they are worth the investment and the wife will be happier if you don't spend so much time trying to keep it running and use that time to snuggle, etc. :)

Loving GIF by memecandy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back