OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I know that I'm talking about the white spots. They are usually always open I just had my hand in there and they closed up and I saw them

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can pull them out and dip them.

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I can I have some furun-2 but they have never closed up since I got them so I didn't notice the white spots

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's zoapox, don't freak out like me. I just finished a 7 day treatment and the white spots on my zoas seem to be all gone. My zoas were similar in that the spots didn't seem to bother them, but I caught it early. The treatment was a cup of fresh saltwater and a packet of furan-7 everyday for seven days. It's been two days since last treatment and they are looking great.

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's zoapox, don't freak out like me. I just finished a 7 day treatment and the white spots on my zoas seem to be all gone. My zoas were similar in that the spots didn't seem to bother them, but I caught it early. The treatment was a cup of fresh saltwater and a packet of furan-7 everyday for seven days. It's been two days since last treatment and they are looking great.
Did your spots look like those?

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of tough to see from this photo, but if they are little raised spirals, then they are zoanthid-eating nudibranch eggs... and a bad sign.

Here's a clearer picture to use as a reference:
nudieggs.jpg

If that's what you have then you've got Zoanthid-Eating Nudibranches in your tank, munching on your zoos. If that's the case, you'll notice that groups of polyps are closed up when they're normally open, and/or that they appear to be missing their skirts. The nudis are tiny little slug looking things that will be the same color as the polyps they're eating. They're hard to spot, hard to kill, and they multiply quickly. I'd recommend that you get yourself a sixline wrasse and enjoy the show.

jon-rubino2.jpg

If they're not eggs, and just little raised white sores, it could be Zoa Pox. If that's the case, pull the colony and dip in Furan 2. You can find instructions online.

Both scenarios are bad, and will affect all the zoos in your tank... but both are treatable.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I dealt with can be found here and there is some info on various diseases and pests that seem to affect zoas, but the link I used before is no longer working :( But it talks about zoapox, nudibranches, spiders and a few other things. Which I could find them right now. I know it's less than helpful right now.

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided I'm gonna set up a ten gallon qt tank and let these run their course. The only ones I can't get to open are the radioactive dragon eyes. I'm assuming if there was something wrong they wouldn't be fully open and full of color

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't let me zoanthids confuse you as far as coloring. the ones in the picture i posted were the first ones i purchased and came from the store looking like that. the second frag of zoas that had the pox were jungle juice and they never lost any color and didn't seem bothered by the white bumps either. but whatever you do, good luck and hope everything works out.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's zoanthid eating nudibranches, you can kill them by dipping in flatworm exit. Dip the every 7 days for three weeks.

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is the first time I have ever owned any corals so I think I'm stressing myself out over them. And I don't really know what I'm doing so I'm gonna have to make some mistakes to learn what I did wrong

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped all of them with coral rx before they went in and I've scoured them with a magnifying glass looking for nudes and starfish and spiders

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm right there with you. I've had my tank for almost 2 months now. I have 2 clowns, 4 zoa frags and some GSP, with some cleanup crew.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back