Anyone order a clam from Algae barn?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a great deal from them on an ultra gold maxima. I had no idea they did clams so I took the chance. They have a 100% arrive alive shipping so not worried about that. Has anyone else ordered clams from them? How did they look when you got them. They are all ORA and very well priced, I got an ultra gold for 97.00 with shipping. Seemed like a sweet deal my LFS charged 80-150 on clams and has not had any since I was in the market.

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a good place to document the health and growth of the clam. I'm not sure if ORA ships to them or if ORA ships to you even if ordered from algae barn but I'm excited to see the condition and growth of your new tridacna.
Me too I have wanted a maxima since my skunk shrimp killed my 3 year old derasa by ripping stuff out of its siphon. ORA clams are usually super healthy as long as it makes shipping. I will post pictures Tuesday when it arrives

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too I have wanted a maxima since my skunk shrimp killed my 3 year old derasa by ripping stuff out of its siphon. ORA clams are usually super healthy as long as it makes shipping. I will post pictures Tuesday when it arrives
Sorry to hear about the derasa. Looking forward to the new maxima pics!

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pictures.

IMG_20191230_142327.jpg

IMG_20191230_142305.jpg

OA3B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a hippopus from them. Very clean, as with all their stuff. I too was leery of them but I said for $50, why not. I am happy with the purchase and plan on getting another clam from them soon. I would post a pic of it but I’m battling gha at the moment
47E1B456-B706-4BB1-8868-360FCC7D3530.jpeg

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received the clam yesterday and it was a total goner! AB stepped up and is sending a replacement on Monday. Stuff happens I get it big props for getting on the DOA and making stuff right. Weird because it almost looks like it was long gone not just dying over the 12 hours shipping. I will update Tuesday I guess. I felt horrible about it dying I hate having a hand in any death.

08AF51CF-ABF8-471A-9575-6B7547854383.jpeg 5070076F-04DE-488D-9695-179B9F7765BD.jpeg D20ACC58-DA37-44DF-A6F7-414C9C4D5831.jpeg

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC reef "Very strange, I see new shell growth. Hopefully there's no disease"

Looks like the clam died from stress in shipping. IMO, and it's only my opinion, there is way too much room in the jar for the clam to bounce around in. Best thing they could do if they continue to use those containers, is to put the clam in some plastic and put some more around it to keep it from bouncing all over the place. Definitely stressful for the clam to get shaken and bounced all over. As we all know, FedEx and UPS are not exactly careful when handling their shipments. My UPS guy one day was actually spinning the box all around when it brought it into my workplace. I went nuts on him and then proceeded to call UPS and have the depot contact me for my complaint. The boxes are clearly marked "live fish", "perishable", "this side up"...hello does anybody read these days??? bsa

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC reef "Very strange, I see new shell growth. Hopefully there's no disease"

Looks like the clam died from stress in shipping. IMO, and it's only my opinion, there is way too much room in the jar for the clam to bounce around in. Best thing they could do if they continue to use those containers, is to put the clam in some plastic and put some more around it to keep it from bouncing all over the place. Definitely stressful for the clam to get shaken and bounced all over. As we all know, FedEx and UPS are not exactly careful when handling their shipments. My UPS guy one day was actually spinning the box all around when it brought it into my workplace. I went nuts on him and then proceeded to call UPS and have the depot contact me for my complaint. The boxes are clearly marked "live fish", "perishable", "this side up"...hello does anybody read these days??? bsa
I was going to petco Monday for dog food when I saw a ups guy throw a box from inside the truck to outside into the parking lot then get out of the truck grab the box and bring it in. The box said fragile live animals. I went in and complained to management who ran over to the ups guy and complained him out.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to petco Monday for dog food when I saw a ups guy throw a box from inside the truck to outside into the parking lot then get out of the truck grab the box and bring it in. The box said fragile live animals. I went in and complained to management who ran over to the ups guy and complained him out.

Sad how some and I'm sure it's not all of them (hopefully) have no regard for something that is a "live animal" inside the box. One day another UPS driver came in with the box sideways. At least he wasn't spinning the box but I did tell him "the box has arrows that say this side up for a reason"...UPS doesn't care much for me LOL...bsa

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad how some and I'm sure it's not all of them (hopefully) have no regard for something that is a "live animal" inside the box. One day another UPS driver came in with the box sideways. At least he wasn't spinning the box but I did tell him "the box has arrows that say this side up for a reason"...UPS doesn't care much for me LOL...bsa
I keep pythons and one time I had a $2000 snake shipped and I always have it so a person has to sign for it. The person who shipped it even wrote on the box that says live animal on it " Please dont leave me outside, I'm a living animal and its freezing out." FEDEX didnt even knock on the door. They just put it on the doorstep and drove away while it was freezing out. Luckily I noticed and got him.

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The replacement they sent is Rockin! Very happy with AB it was only 60.00 so great value

A934C46E-C4D7-4270-AEB2-D2B3DEB9ED00.jpeg 85C8FFA3-6F9F-466B-8B83-FC682BB1AD77.jpeg 4C238206-D2CF-40AD-B0E4-12E57FB9183E.png

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back