Anyone recognize this guy?

Amel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1691.jpeg
The stalk is about an inch long and goes down into the sand. It is soft and retreats down when poked with a stick. IMG_1692.jpeg

Last edited:

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sort of looks like a relative to a bobbit worm mouth and shape......if so very bad thing...

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you missing fish? Kinda weird looking, the anemone tentacles coming from mouth area. What ever it is looks like it is built to eat what ever comes it way...Could be bad if you touch it, sting you etc..

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is right on the edge of thick glass so I’m having trouble getting it to focus if the angle is too steep.
Seeing could help with saying for certain, but as is I'm relatively confident it's an Edwardsiid (taxonomic family Edwardsiidae) anemone, sometimes called "Worm Anemones."

Assuming it's in a tropical tank, that would narrow the possible genera down to five different ones (Edwardsia, Edwardsianthus, Edwardsiella, Nematostella, and Scolanthus [Edit: forgot Paraedwardsia, though it's an unlikely one]); out of those, an Edwardsia sp. seems the most likely to me - unfortunately, the genus contains dozens of species and I haven't looked through them all, so I'm not sure which one at this point, but here are two (linked below) that look relatively close:

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing could help with saying for certain, but as is I'm relatively confident it's an Edwardsiid (taxonomic family Edwardsiidae) anemone, sometimes called "Worm Anemones."

Assuming it's in a tropical tank, that would narrow the possible genera down to five different ones (Edwardsia, Edwardsianthus, Edwardsiella, Nematostella, and Scolanthus [Edit: forgot Paraedwardsia, though it's an unlikely one]); out of those, an Edwardsia sp. seems the most likely to me - unfortunately, the genus contains dozens of species and I haven't looked through them all, so I'm not sure which one at this point, but here are two (linked below) that look relatively close:
... And now I need one. :upside-down-face:

OP
OP
A

Amel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It looks quite a lot like starlet sea anemone (Nematostella vectensis), thank you for your help!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back