Anyone Remember These?

Using interfacing to create a replacement diatom filter bag started well; I used hem tape to seal the edges of the bag, so it looked very similar to the original diatom filter bag, but when I test soaked the bag in water for a few hours the hem tape lost 90% of its adhesion and the bag fell apart when I pulled on it. Even if that had worked, there's still the problem of how to securely attach the bag to the pump housing; it all seems like more trouble than it's worth. I'll either create a new diatom filter following Paul's method, or just buy a Magnum Polishing Internal Filter and use it with diatom powder. That filter has a small surface area, so I expect it'll clog quickly, but it's quick to buy and test, so that's probably my next step. I suspect I'll end up making my own diatom filter similar to Paul's by the time I'm done with this.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new