Anyone running multiple Trident units on the same tank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two alk overdose incidents within 4 weeks due to the Trident reporting false alkalinity levels (over 6+ dkh off before I caught it). I lost one frag so far, the others are holding on. But I am planning on finding a way to rectify this.

Is it possible to run two Trident's on the same unit? The other thought I had was two separate Apex base units with two separate Tridents.

Here is my problem. The point of having a Trident is to not have to test manually as often. But if I cannot trust my Trident, and have to test manually, then I don't need my Trident and can just go back to the old way of doing things. So I am trying to find a way in which I can reduce manual tweaking of pumps, manual testing, etc. But that means I need a way to be able to "catch" when the Trident is throwing potentially incorrect values.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear another story like this for trident. Check out the alkatronic - it really is a far superior product from support to development and reliability. Hope you find something to make your reef management more efficient!

U

User1

View Badges
I have had two alk overdose incidents within 4 weeks due to the Trident reporting false alkalinity levels (over 6+ dkh off before I caught it). I lost one frag so far, the others are holding on. But I am planning on finding a way to rectify this.

Is it possible to run two Trident's on the same unit? The other thought I had was two separate Apex base units with two separate Tridents.

Here is my problem. The point of having a Trident is to not have to test manually as often. But if I cannot trust my Trident, and have to test manually, then I don't need my Trident and can just go back to the old way of doing things. So I am trying to find a way in which I can reduce manual tweaking of pumps, manual testing, etc. But that means I need a way to be able to "catch" when the Trident is throwing potentially incorrect values.

You can run as many tridents as you want and safely supply power for. It would be trident1, 2, 3, etc. However, not sure why you would want to nor does it make sense.

6 DKH off sounds like something else is going on. Haven't heard of this one before.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a Trident that you're not happy with I'm not sure adding another would be the solution. Is there a reason, like the intake tube pulling in crud, that it has returned inaccurate readings?

I'm afraid I can't be of much help on this. I've been on the fence considering a Trident, KH Director and Alkatronic for some over a year now. Just when I think I'm ready to tank the plunge and buy one I see posts that make me question my decision.

I hope others can help you.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive never heard of a trident being that far off. Do you mind sending a screenshot of the graph? How much are you dosing and size tank, how filled is it etc. It sounds like one of the reagent lines or intake lines are crimped. I would think if its reading low that the reagent A line is messed up somehow. If its reading high maybe the sample line is not pulling the right amount.

EXOTICAQUATIX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear another story like this for trident. Check out the alkatronic - it really is a far superior product from support to development and reliability. Hope you find something to make your reef management more efficient!
I am a Apex guy 100% BUT monkiboy is right about the alkatronic for sure.

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seems to go off a bit when reagents come close to being empty.
I got mine second hand though so the reagents might've been sitting for a while. I put in new reagents and works well so far. New ones are at 67% full so will have to see once they come close to 30%.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this sounds very strange. And for readings to be off by 6 dkh first of all how is that possible when trident has a fail safe to revert back to or set amount when outside the threshold. So how is that even possible unless you changed those peramiters to allow it to over dose in this situation. I sort of call bs here

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you should be Calibrating more often. And definitly trying to figure out what you are doing wrong for this to happen

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that would have happened over long time. Which calibration would have corrected. And if happened over night then your graph would have showed you the spike. I run 2 tridents but on 2 different 300 gallon systems in my house. I do about every other month take a cup of water from the other tank and let the other trident test (on both systems) to compare readings. They are always close enough

OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate every month or two, usually when I replace the CA/MG, or when I suspect something is afoul. The first time this happened in early December I replaced the reagents and calibrated, and it went back to normal.

The second time this happened I calibrated and it just wouldn't level off and I still had testing issues. I've heard of folks cleaning out their testing curvette (or whatever you call it) before, so I did that and it instantly jumped. Calibrated again just to make sure and now I am back to getting the correct reported values.

100% this is due to the residue on the testing vial. It was almost such a dark color it looked black. The test immediately after the only change of cleaning out the vial resulted in a huge alk jump, and was now in line with my manual alk test.

I am looking for ways to do a better job of detecting Trident malfunction that don't involve manual testing, otherwise there'd be no point to automated tests.
DDE16665-9D52-492B-BC1B-F647C6A1B2BC.png
2E6D4C72-58FC-4A0B-92FA-D8CC41702286.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back