Anyone see any problems with this tank build?

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48x30x22
1/2 starphire front, 3/4 inch sides, 1/2 back
coast to coast overflow on back
eurobracing on sides and front

Bretts_tank.jpg

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not tank designer but that looks good to me. The eurobracing will help if you want to run some sort of "wave" motion. And the coast-to-coast overflow will be great! The only thing I would recommend is some "teeth" going into the overflow to help prevent any fish from "going over". That could be accomplished with some black acrylic fastened to the inside of the overflow....if that makes sense.

I'm sure some of the fabricators on here (Troylee) will have more input. Looks good though.

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the 2 x 1 1/2" holes in the overflow just be drains (I'm sure they are). What are your plans for a return? Will you be drilling the back or bottom for returns?

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be building this, having a local shop build it for you, or are you ordering? Looking forward to seeing this come together...

OP
OP
B

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering. I will be doing a build thread once I get it. I have everything already purchased except for the tank, rock and sand.

OP
OP
B

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe 1 inch is what we were planning(The back pane of glass is going to be 1 inch shorter than the rest.) Hoping to be able to create a small wave with my MP40s.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that sounds good should work like a champ..... The teeth aren't a bad idea at all I run them on my tanks and any tank I build.... It cuts down the surface skimming by 40percent or so depending on teeth size but it's a life saver... It will help from snails clogging the overflow or fish going down the swirly vortex of terror to the sump lol... I would also run 3 drains the bean animal style overflow it's the best in the business IMHO.;)

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me...!! looking forward to seeing this build:tongue:... just pointing out that the wave will probably make more sound...if that's not a concern to then never mind:bigsmile: I believe the sound is soothing also lol

OP
OP
B

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that sounds good should work like a champ..... The teeth aren't a bad idea at all I run them on my tanks and any tank I build.... It cuts down the surface skimming by 40percent or so depending on teeth size but it's a life saver... It will help from snails clogging the overflow or fish going down the swirly vortex of terror to the sump lol... I would also run 3 drains the bean animal style overflow it's the best in the business IMHO.;)

Bean animal style?

wooboodoo

the ART of modern REEF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48x30x22
1/2 starphire front, 3/4 inch sides, 1/2 back
coast to coast overflow on back
eurobracing on sides and front

Bretts_tank.jpg

Everything is cool but can you tell me why you want to use that thick glass? Front, back and bottom 1/2" is enough for sides you can use even 3/8" is no reason to use 3/4" for side walls... eurobracing for sides? I have build couple hundreds tanks in my whole life but newer glued any brace to the sides :) I understand if you want to use this like a shelf or light support other way you don't really need it.

GL with your new project !
Regards
mark

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its only 2 holes, thats actually my overflow style, not Bean's...lol. I always used to argue with Bean that 2 holes could do everything his 3 could. My 48x30x21"h build was proof of that. I used 1/2" starphire for the front and 1/2" on the rest. I used 3" wide 1/2" thick "euro bracing" all around, and black silicone (of course). I think I did a bang-up job on it, better than the Miracles tanks I have seen.

I didnt like the 30" depth in the end. Along the top, yes, but the back bottom was alot of wasted space. If I had to do it all over, I would make the bottom glass sloped from front to back to eliminate that dead zone in the back (use aragacrete plates to create a fake sandy slope on the bottom). A 96"x36"x24"h version of this with a sloped glass bottom is actually my next project. Either that or I would just stick to no more than 24" of depth and just make the tank longer. Its just better viewing, better swim space for fish like tangs, etc. I was trying to get away with a size that would allow me to use one metal halide on a light mover (and it worked awesome!) but then I became a T5 convert (and now LED) so I ended up wishing I had just gone with the "stock" 6'x18" footprint instead, or 72"x24"x18"h. Just something to consider. I did like 48x30x21, dont get me wrong... loved it, but I think if I were to do it again today I would go narrow and long.
From first setup:
111wholetank.jpg

Tankcanopyopen.jpg

draincloseup3.jpg

draincloseup2.jpg

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have very similar tank being built right now 48x30x24 with external overflow but my returns will be seaswirls

i went 1/2" glass starphire on three sides and reg 1/2" glass on the back

bottom is double 1/2" glass

here is a build thread in my local fish club. Near the bottom of the first page you will see pics of tank being assembled and the metal stand i am using

DFW Marine Aquarium Society • View topic - 140 Gallon Starphire Build

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you say who was building it for you ? i like the size/shape but do you think it will be tough to reach the center back?

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it is tough to reach the center back. I thought it was tough and Im 6'5" with 38" sleeve length! The only way I will do more than 24" depth is if the bottom is sloped so the back is nice and shallow or if the tank has access from the back side. Its also why I will likely never get a tank that is taller than 24" as well. The other thing I noticed is that its harder to view the corals when they are 2' or more away. The main reason I like the 30" depth is that the back corners get darker and it gets easier to hide the tunze's. But its even easier to use aragacrete of ceramic walls on the back glass that you can hide everything in/behind, and then you really dont need more than 24". If I can get my hands on some 10' or 12' low iron glass, I would love to make a 12'x24"x24" tank. That would be just right. And with a long and narrow shot like that, can you imagine the flow you would get with a couple 5000 gph tunzes at each end?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back