Anyone seen a millepora like this? Is it even a millepora?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CBonito
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CBonito

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2023
Messages
2,855
Reaction score
8,130
Location
Detroit Area
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got it, it was a brick color which I think was a lack of light maybe, but then it turned red and now this is what it looks like...anyone have a similar one and is there any wisdom to offer? it's doing great, but I'm really surprised at the transformation and how fast it happened. Is it even a millepora? Millepora is kind of weird and there are a lot of kinds.

Thoughts? It's growing so that's great. I've just never seen a coral go from near-turd status, to red and now to this. It's been in the same area the whole time under 300+ par. Maybe it will turn purple next month...who knows.lol
;)
1711224421203.jpeg


Here is what it used to look like 3-4 weeks ago...
1711224846279.jpeg


Here is what it looked like when I got it.
1711224914188.jpeg
 
When I first got it, it was a brick color which I think was a lack of light maybe, but then it turned red and now this is what it looks like...anyone have a similar one and is there any wisdom to offer? it's doing great, but I'm really surprised at the transformation and how fast it happened. Is it even a millepora? Millepora is kind of weird and there are a lot of kinds.

Thoughts? It's growing so that's great. I've just never seen a coral go from near-turd status, to red and now to this. It's been in the same area the whole time under 300+ par. Maybe it will turn purple next month...who knows.lol
;)
1711224421203.jpeg


Here is what it used to look like 3-4 weeks ago...
1711224846279.jpeg


Here is what it looked like when I got it.
1711224914188.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20240323_162827_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240323_162827_Chrome.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 85
Of course I could be way wrong but this was my initial thought.
 
It is a beautiful coral - and it's pretty typical for corals to change like that. I assume your lighting is the same - in any case its doing great - congrats!
 
Great save! That’s a really nice piece.
 
One comment - I wonder if it is flourishing more since you moved it away from the rest - as I said to another poster - people buy 12 frags - but as they grow they compete (chemically) and there is no room
 
It is a beautiful coral - and it's pretty typical for corals to change like that. I assume your lighting is the same - in any case its doing great - congrats!
I've seen a lot of corals change from nicely colored to brown, from brown to nicely colored...this one is a first for me. I liked the red, but we'll see what it does. I like how it is now too.
 
@jvb89 not spath; branches not thick enough and radial corallites not "flared" enough
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new