Anyone successfully treated Brown Jelly disease?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first and only Euphyllia (gold frogspawn) came down with Brown Jelly. It has been spewing out this brown algae type of thing for a couple of months - I didn't know what it was until a week or so ago.

Monday night I did a dip of Lugols and spot dropped a direct bit of the solution on the infected area. The frogspawn was 'melting' in the DT for about half an hour. It eventually started to look really good. It looked better than ever on Wednesday, but today, it looks like it's starting to spew out more of that jelly, and overall doesn't look so good.

I would hate to lose this frogspawn- it's such a nice specimen, it's not the generic green/purple, ya know?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sadly lost my entire acan collection to them, I tried dipping, fragging off the infected parts and putting the infected corals in QT and it still ravaged my tank :(

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sadly lost my entire acan collection to them, I tried dipping, fragging off the infected parts and putting the infected corals in QT and it still ravaged my tank :(

Sorry to hear that. I think my only choice would be to frag off the two dying heads and try to save the third one. I don't have a spare light fixture or powerhead to set up a QT for corals.

Does the disease spread by contact? I really like the micromussas that i have- they're starting to take off on growth spurt.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its brown jelly, it can spread to other Euphyllia in the aquarium. You can try a 50/50 dip of aquarium water to hydrogen peroxide for a 5 minute bath. May take a couple baths if the coral is not too far gone.

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the only Euphyllia that I have. I took it to the lfs for them to frag off the infected heads for me. I dipped it in lugols when I got home. It's looking well right now in a low light, low flow area of the tank. I hope it pulls through, I don't know anywhere else that has one of these frogspawns.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 48 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back