Anyone try the tank transfer method to rid fish of ich as a QT practice?

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as it says. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the transfer method and am thinking with this tank I'm going to try and make it ich free from the start. Anyone tried the transfer method before?

The Tank Transfer Method – This method involves using two different QT tanks and transferring the fish between the two tanks each day followed by completely cleaning the tank this fish was removed from before using it the next day. This will break the ich life cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if in fact you know you have a fish with ich would you need to do this. I have never done it. Hypo is the safest bet.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up the fight with quarantines for ich one thing that works for me is feeding heavy for the first few weeks of introducing a new fish or when I see signs of ich. My hippo and sailfin tang had ich so bad that it look like they had hundreds of white spots but they fought it off all I did was feed them more i also read that Paul b recommend to add fish oil from the Walmart capsules to the food and it helps with the immune system.

OP
OP
meintn

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done hypo and copper before. I've read there are actually hypo resistant strains of ich out there now. The transfer method seems to be easy enough with smaller fish. I've always just accepted the fact that ich will be in the tanks and that a healthy fish will fight it off but I may take a different approach this time now that I have a clean slate basically. A transfer every 3 days to a new container and you will successfully eliminate ich off the fish after 4 transfers.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the only thing is see for the transfer method is that the fish will get stressed from it and the immune system would not be strong enough if there is ich on the DT

OP
OP
meintn

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set the tank up so it's clear. If using the transfer method to treat ich in an existing system, you do the transfers and then put in QT until the DT has been without fish for 63 days.

jduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good for some fish that can't Handle the medications. But it's a pain to change the water tanks every few days. Gave it up for a one time dose of chloroquine phosphate for 10 days.

OP
OP
meintn

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never considered chloroquine phospate. On to more reading! Thanks for the info.

mrsaltwatertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not use copper? Cupramine is safe, easy to use and proven to work. If you a already have a QT setup which it sounds like you do, then you have nearly everything you need.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too stressful on the fish. I quarantine religiously with cupramine and have never had a breakout in my DT.

mrsaltwatertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too stressful on the fish. I quarantine religiously with cupramine and have never had a breakout in my DT.

To be clear, you are saying the chloroquine phosphate is too stressful or the cupramine is? From the second part of your post I'm assuming you are saying chloroquine phosphate is too stressful.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, you are saying the chloroquine phosphate is too stressful or the cupramine is? From the second part of your post I'm assuming you are saying chloroquine phosphate is too stressful.
Too stressful to keep moving fish. I use cupramine in my QT tank with great success. Huge fan and watch your YouTube vids all the time very informative.

Last edited:

mrsaltwatertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too stressful to keep moving fish. I use cupramine in my QT tank with great success.

Ah, ok and I agree. The transfer method can be quite stressful. I use and recommend cupramine. I've tested it on sensitive fish like mandarins and never lost one while under going treatment. Great stuff and proven to work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
meintn

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know and thanks for the info. All kinds of things to consider now.... haha

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back