Anyone turned their return chamber in their sump into a refugium?

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running out of space in my sump but thinking about a refugium. Then saw that empty chamber. I run a Red Sea Reefer XL 425. Anyone done this in their sump?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running out of space in my sump but thinking about a refugium. Then saw that empty chamber. I run a Red Sea Reefer XL 425. Anyone done this in their sump?

Its no that this can't be done, I think its more to do with stuff being sucked up into your return pump/impeller. Also, a lot of the time the flow threw this chamber is most of the time more than ideal for a refiugium. You could always run a strainer on the pump, but sometimes this causes macro bubbles to be formed which end up in your display tank.

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return is at the other end of the sump. This chamber is for the overflow. Its empty. That's what got me thinking...Pretty good flow, really.

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This area is not large. Its 10" long, 10" deep and 5.5" wide. Right now only water is flowing from the overflow into it and then to my socks and into the rest of the sump. This would be a total DIY project. Just trying to combat some nuisance algae. That's what lead me to this. That, and the fact it would give me another project.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back