Anyone use calcium nitrate?

reefer4816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone use calcium nitrate instead of potassium nitrate (stump remover)

Pros and cons between the two would be appreciated!

Looking forward to what @Randy Holmes-Farley thinks about this.

828DF118-1D49-4ABF-B1DD-025325168890.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium nitrate, if adequately pure, is a perfect choice. It is actually a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive system if the nitrate is consumed.

But I can't tell anything about the purity of this specific material. Some such materials actually also contain a lot of ammonia.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone use calcium nitrate instead of potassium nitrate (stump remover)

Pros and cons between the two would be appreciated!

Looking forward to what @Randy Holmes-Farley thinks about this.

828DF118-1D49-4ABF-B1DD-025325168890.png

I’ve used it. No problems. Go slow as it has that delay factor (adding without seeing NO3 accumulation. . . Then bammm, you see lots of it).

Note: I moved away from adding NO3 and just feed heavy and added a macro algae ‘fuge. I have no detectable P or N but corals are healthy. Go figure.

Atu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium nitrate, if adequately pure, is a perfect choice. It is actually a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive system if the nitrate is consumed.

But I can't tell anything about the purity of this specific material. Some such materials actually also contain a lot of ammonia.

This is the information I've been looking for. Currently I'm dosing potassium nitrate (15ml of a 2M solution to an almost 2000L system), which have worked great for me, but I recently got a salifert potassium test kit and it reads 470ppm. I want to change to other nitrate source, and thought this one would be ideal. I just got some, and the lab analysis reads (the percentages are mass fractions):

-Ca(NO3)2 ≥76%
-Humidity ≤0,50%
-NH4NO3 6-10%
-Water insolubles ≤0,20%

It proceeds with the calcium and nitrogen percentages, clarifying the sources of the later, which I think are non important.

Is this purity good enough? I'm worried about the ammonium. I'm guessing this would skew the calcium-alkalinity balance also? Should I try to get a better purity?

Atu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m from Argentina, so sadly Amazon is not an option.

I’ve found another source with 1-1,2% ammonium nitrate. Is that good enough? If not which range am I looking for? I don’t know yet if it contains other impurities.

I also found a lab grade source, albeit a lot more expensive, >99% calcium nitrate. I’m guessing this would be the preferred option.

I’ve read on another post of you that for each 0,5 ppm of nitrates consumed 2,3 dKh are added. I’ve been dosing 1ppm nitrate almost daily (15ml of a 2M KNO3 solution to a 2000L system) for a few months now, why are my calcium levels not dropping? Or they are dropping only that very slowly? I’m skimming heavily, might that be a factor?

I’m sorry to bother you with such boring questions, on the plus side I found some photos of the aquarium before the nitrate dosing and the difference is remarkable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That level of ammonia is sufficiently low, that it is probably OK, as long as you do not add too much nitrate at once. If you add 2 ppm nitrate per day, the amount of ammonia added is probably not any concern. :)

"I’ve read on another post of you that for each 0,5 ppm of nitrates consumed 2,3 dKh are added"

No, it is 50 ppm of nitrate per 2.3 dKH. :)

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That level of ammonia is sufficiently low, that it is probably OK, as long as you do not add too much nitrate at once. If you add 2 ppm nitrate per day, the amount of ammonia added is probably not any concern. :)

"I’ve read on another post of you that for each 0,5 ppm of nitrates consumed 2,3 dKh are added"

No, it is 50 ppm of nitrate per 2.3 dKH. :)
Out of curiosity here, if Ammonium Nitrate results in Alk + Nitrate, would this not be preferred over Calcium Nitrate, since from reading your posts (and my own tank currently, but not in the past), generally most tanks are equal consumption calc/alk OR need more alk than calc. So wouldn't more alk be better than more calcium since more calcium would just throw off the ratio further instead of bringing it more equal so you don't have to dose more alk?
This is the information I've been looking for. Currently I'm dosing potassium nitrate (15ml of a 2M solution to an almost 2000L system), which have worked great for me, but I recently got a salifert potassium test kit and it reads 470ppm. I want to change to other nitrate source, and thought this one would be ideal. I just got some, and the lab analysis reads (the percentages are mass fractions):

-Ca(NO3)2 ≥76%
-Humidity ≤0,50%
-NH4NO3 6-10%
-Water insolubles ≤0,20%

It proceeds with the calcium and nitrogen percentages, clarifying the sources of the later, which I think are non important.

Is this purity good enough? I'm worried about the ammonium. I'm guessing this would skew the calcium-alkalinity balance also? Should I try to get a better purity?
Why does Ammonium Nitrate increase alk do you know? I would've thought it would create nitrate from cycle in the end + nitrate, so just kind of two sources of nitrate? I am sure you guys are right and I'm wrong lol, but just want to understand why :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think most tanks need more alk than calcium. They need balanced calcium and alk, which is what calcium nitrate gives.

Ammonium nitrate is also fine, as it is alk neutral.

Finally, you can also dose ammonium bicarbonate, which is also alk neutral.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think most tanks need more alk than calcium. They need balanced calcium and alk, which is what calcium nitrate gives.

Ammonium nitrate is also fine, as it is alk neutral.

Finally, you can also dose ammonium bicarbonate, which is also alk neutral.

Oh I must have mis understood. What were you guys talking about with the .5ppm Nitrate = 2.3dKH?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops right. When you said alk neutral though, did you mean "essentially alk neutral" because it's such small amount? Or am I not understanding? Wouldn't increase in alk, not be alk neutral?

Dosing ammonium reduces alk. Dosing nitrate adds alk. Together, they are neutral to alk if ammonium nitrate is all you add.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back