Anyone use canister filters from Amazon?

Advil_LiquiGLs

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2026
Messages
45
Reaction score
47
Location
Las Vegas
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Looking at canister filtration options for my 55g FOWLR, has anyone tried using the off brand canister filters from Amazon? Theyre priced at around $60-$90. Or are there budget brands that you guys can vouch for? The model I'm was looking at was the Penn Plax Cascade rated for 55g, but it's going to cost more than the stand did (@$165). Are the Amazon ones comparable to the ones like Cascade or Fluval? Thanks in advance
 
I used to use Cascade canisters on some of my fresh water tanks and they did fine.

PS Some of mine were in use for a few years. I eventually moved to dual fluval FX6s but I moved to a larger tank and had some large south American Cichlids.
 
Last edited:
Hey guys. Looking at canister filtration options for my 55g FOWLR, has anyone tried using the off brand canister filters from Amazon? Theyre priced at around $60-$90. Or are there budget brands that you guys can vouch for? The model I'm was looking at was the Penn Plax Cascade rated for 55g, but it's going to cost more than the stand did (@$165). Are the Amazon ones comparable to the ones like Cascade or Fluval? Thanks in advance
I use Fluval 407. No problems or issues.
In my opinion, you won’t be satisfied with a cheap filter. It’s one area where you shouldn’t try to cut costs.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new