Anyone use Pinpoint Ph Monitor? Thoughts?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Got a pinpoint ph monitor for Xmas. After calibration, it reads my ph about 7.92. My salifert test (based on color chart) I’ve been using forever reads (what id call) a consistent 8.2-8.3. Thoughts on which is more reliable?? The color chart seems pretty subjective on the test kit but I’m surprised I’m that far off. I have Sps and lps, nems, fish, inverts etc in a 220 mixed reef. Coral growth has been slow as Im still learning how to reef better- which is why I’m trying to do a little bit of number chasing to get things around the “correct” sustainable level. Would you make any ph adjustments based on the ph monitor reading?
Thank you!!!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrated ph probe will usually be more accurate. At your range of 7.9 vs 8.2 color test I would go with the ph probe. If your ph tends to stay around 7.9 I wouldn’t bother with it, can always add a co2 scrubber but stay away from any chemicals unless you want to raise alkalinity.

You can always test the ph probe by checking against a calibration solution.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have calibration solution for 4, 7 and 10- it’s just pretty minute adjustments that seem to change between each calibration. It doesn’t need to be super exact, but just wanted some assurances that it’s trustworthy I guess. :) my alk always needs raised- I dose regularly- so I’m just trying to get the new equipment to give me the right general parameters so I can stabilize dosing. Moving from text kits to ph monitors and Hanna checkers... I’m starting to feel like a grown up reefer now!!! ;)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back