Alk testing and PH probe calibration

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just re-calibrated the PH probe on my KH Carer after a month of use, which was also calibrated during setup. The red arrow on the chart is the calibration point. Curious to know why the chart has a tighter range in alk reporting, and what part of the chart may be more accurate, and why? I dose kalk 24/7 evenly over 96 doses, and am not dynamically dosing anything else, so I’m inclined to think the larger swing part of the graph is more accurate, but don’t know what I base that thought off of…

IMG_5919.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just re-calibrated the PH probe on my KH Carer after a month of use, which was also calibrated during setup. The red arrow on the chart is the calibration point. Curious to know why the chart has a tighter range in alk reporting, and what part of the chart may be more accurate, and why? I dose kalk 24/7 evenly over 96 doses, and am not dynamically dosing anything else, so I’m inclined to think the larger swing part of the graph is more accurate, but don’t know what I base that thought off of…

IMG_5919.jpeg
Some thoughts.

The variation you are observing is small and I feel you would have a hard time explaining every up and down on the plot.

The upward trend after the red arrow seems like a significant change worthy of some theorizing but not too much. It is still a tiny change. It looks like the daily average is up a bit and the measurements are less bouncy. I will leave the “why” to you.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some thoughts.

The variation you are observing is small and I feel you would have a hard time explaining every up and down on the plot.

The upward trend after the red arrow seems like a significant change worthy of some theorizing but not too much. It is still a tiny change. It looks like the daily average is up a bit and the measurements are less bouncy. I will leave the “why” to you.
I’m just gettin a bit uneasy letting all this tech control alk. I think I may go back to a simple 24/7 buffer dosing and let the tank do its thing with what’s available.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back