Anyone using Light Shades on Their Aquarium?

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New shades. Ty @chemisfun11
49428934-5A08-4D2D-AAA4-8BF6F46CB315.jpeg
1B83335F-F9FA-420A-B9FF-C481E30FB199.jpeg
Do you have a before and after at all ? and what lights are yours?

For anyone else that may already have them, does anyone have AI Hydra HD32 shades they could post a picture of?

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone! Been making slight improvements with my light spill shades or shrouds as some people call them as we get closer to reefing season :)

I've absorbed a lot of feedback over the past year or so and strive to make my light spill shades even better. I continue to expand my offerings with custom work as well.

Happy Reefing!

Lee

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Been making slight improvements with my light spill shades or shrouds as some people call them as we get closer to reefing season :)

I've absorbed a lot of feedback over the past year or so and strive to make my light spill shades even better. I continue to expand my offerings with custom work as well.

Happy Reefing!

Lee

I was wondering if you could make something custom if I gave you measurements. Can you make a single shade that would attach to the outside of the outside lights in a row of 3? It’s over a 36 inch tank, I’m not familiar with the size of printers so if it can’t print something that long could it be made in 2 pieces that could be attached? Be curious to discuss with you if it’s something you’d be interested in pm me.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was wondering if you could make something custom if I gave you measurements. Can you make a single shade that would attach to the outside of the outside lights in a row of 3? It’s over a 36 inch tank, I’m not familiar with the size of printers so if it can’t print something that long could it be made in 2 pieces that could be attached? Be curious to discuss with you if it’s something you’d be interested in pm me.
I saw a shade at Blue Line Coral yesterday that they made with insulating foam sheets glued together then screwed then spackled with DryDex to cover seams and screw holes. They pained it and it looked amazing. I thought it was a heavy wood cover but he lifted it with one hand. Was impressive.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PeterC99

I think you could easily retrofit my light shades with reflective material. There are lots of different kinds that have adhesive backing to experiment with out there.
Do your light shades reduce algae on the glass? Once I put in 3 xr30s my glass algae is completely out of control. It will grow a film in 2 or 3 hours and if you don’t clean the glass for 3 days+, you have to get out a razor blade.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PeterC99

I think you could easily retrofit my light shades with reflective material. There are lots of different kinds that have adhesive backing to experiment with out there.
Do your light shades reduce algae on the glass? Once I put in 3 xr30s my glass algae is completely out of control. It will grow a film in 2 or 3 hours and if you don’t clean the glass for 3 days+, you have to get out a razor blade.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do reduce algae on the glass. I still clean the glass but only once a week now.

Also get yourself a Tunze Strong Magnet glass cleaner. The best on the market; I got rid of my razor blade scrapper.

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those with Lee’s light shades, any comments on 3 sided vs 4 sided? At first I was thinking I would go 3 sided but now I’m worried about the light spill against the wall being distracting. Thanks!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with Lee’s light shades, any comments on 3 sided vs 4 sided? At first I was thinking I would go 3 sided but now I’m worried about the light spill against the wall being distracting. Thanks!
I have the 3 sided light shade on both my radion xr30s.

I don’t notice any light spill and the mounts also block some of that light. I have my lights cranked up to 80% and the open back to the light shade allows some of that heat to dissipate.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I only make 4 sided shades: Only reason for a 3 sided is if you don't want to take down your light to install it?

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren’t kidding. I switched to the tunze from a flipper and it has changed my life. The flipper had a way stronger magnet but just could not scrape off the tough algae. I was spending a lot of time with my hands in the tank with a razor blade. But no more! That tunze scrapes EVERYTHING.
Yes they do reduce algae on the glass. I still clean the glass but only once a week now.

Also get yourself a Tunze Strong Magnet glass cleaner. The best on the market; I got rid of my razor blade scrapper.

Back