Anyone using Light Shades on Their Aquarium?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@NowGlazeIT

Most reefers get in touch with me directly via email at [email protected] I have a business profile on google with some pictures, but I am not quite ready to develop a website yet. I am happy to send pictures of my work when requested and I often customize variations that I offer when reefers have specific needs...everyone's tank/setup is different.

I really try to make sure every reefer gets exactly what they are looking for whether it is one of my light spill shades or some other reef related work. I am proud to say that I've only had one single return after a purchase. (The reefers wife did not like the look of the light spill shades and you know the saying "Happy wife, happy life" :)

I don't get a lot of requests for the AI line of lights, but I own a 26 and a couple of 52's myself which I have developed light spill shades for. So, hit me up when you are ready and I'd be happy to talk about your needs and options. I am always printing/designing something for someone :)

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would suggest putting a reflective surface over them to increase it further. You will see a bigger jump that way. The difference between plain white, and a silver reflector can be huge.

You can try plain foil, but I would suggest taking the extra step and visiting your local camera store and buying some reflective roll on material that photographers use in studio lighting. It's similiar to foil but reflects, but much more.

Cheers!
There is also the aluminum duct tape that has a nice reflectiveness and is easy to apply. Also it is relatively heat resistant.

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one with tape.

D58A9BC9-BEEF-4FBA-B810-1EAE760E9E85.jpeg

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever check to see if there was any difference in par?

Thank you for reminding me. I will take out my par meter tomorrow and test!

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To improve on the tape version which is shown above, this one is from Eel River. Painted it flat white, and cut off the extra to reduce weight and chunkyness.

Attachments

• BDD01E3E-B04D-49AB-B5C8-35D560A2CAED.jpeg
    BDD01E3E-B04D-49AB-B5C8-35D560A2CAED.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 65

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am familiar with the eel river version, but the rectangle design reduces the spread of the light. I started designing light spill shades for this very reason.

To spend the amount of money on lighting our aquariums only to reduce the usable spread seems counterintuitive.

I can customize the angle of the flare depending on the reefers choice. There is no one size fits all and it really depends on each reefers needs.

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am familiar with the eel river version, but the rectangle design reduces the spread of the light. I started designing light spill shades for this very reason.

To spend the amount of money on lighting our aquariums only to reduce the usable spread seems counterintuitive.

I can customize the angle of the flare depending on the reefers choice. There is no one size fits all and it really depends on each reefers needs.
I have a Xr15 gen 6 Blue on a 25 gal nano peninsula that is in my living room, the last thing I need is more spread.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea, but why not just use a canopy?

Canopies look better to begin with and they let you hide all kinds of stuff in there.

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a canopy when I started reefing and I absolutely hated it when I had to work in the tank. When I upgraded and went with a rimless open design I loved it and would create another tank any other way.

To each their own and there no "right" way to do it. Do what is best for you and your tank. I am happy to help those that like and appreciate what I can offer the community.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks I’m curious to see results.

I pulled out the par meter and tested a couple of spots with and without the lights shades. I found the readings to be slightly less WITH the shades (e.g., 238 vs 234).

I have 2 XR30’s lights with 3D printed shades and wonder if the shades take away some of the light from the other light?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently installed 3D printed light spill shades on my Ecotech Xr30 Radions and what huge difference they make.

1) Significantly reduces almost all glare when viewing aquarium.

2) The light is now focused into the Aquarium and the colors are popping. Will try and test to see if they improve Par.

3) Clean Inside glass less often. Normally clean inside glass from algae every 2 to 3 days. NOW cleaning them every 5 to 6 days and cleanup is quick - not nearly as much algae on the glass, and no thick algae spots that require constant back and forth with magnetic glass cleaner.

Who else is using light shades and what has been your experience?

8C694695-B1D0-43FA-AEE3-38B65369E7CC.jpeg

E2F700A1-296D-40F3-A897-A5DEDDD51DDB.jpeg

7685E830-DC3A-4B80-A728-E399C8E4814D.jpeg
Love them !!! I don’t blind myself looking at the tank while sitting in the living room plus I felt the diffusers that ecotech sold separately for them inhibited a lot of light to the coral / tank

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love them !!! I don’t blind myself looking at the tank while sitting in the living room plus I felt the diffusers that ecotech sold separately for them inhibited a lot of light to the coral / tank
Waiting on my shades from @chemisfun11 and I’ll take off the diffusers. More par more depth of color. Saturation to max pls.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back