Anyone using Light Shades on Their Aquarium?

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ecotech Radions XR30 XR15 and the Neptune Sky seem to be the most popular LED lights used in the hobby. Are there any other LED lights that could use a light spill shade? I spent a lot of hours tweaking designs over the past year, so I feel like I have more options to offer the community, but I don't mind expanding my offerings.

Open to ideas and suggestions :)

Thecoolest55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always appreciate any feedback fellow reefers provide on these light spill shades. I have received a lot of positive feedback from reefers that have purchased my light spill shades which provides me with potential ideas...

I am contemplating offering a potential upgrade that would include a reflective surface inside the angled portion of the light spill shade. Most of my customers use diffusers which will decrease the PAR output. Rather than increase the intensity of the light itself which will cost more in electricity in the long run, a simple reflective surface has the potential to regain some PAR without increasing electricity use.

Feel free to chime in on this and share your experience. Everyone's needs and goals are slightly different, but I am here to try and help as best I can.

Happy reefing!
I'd like to order some shades from you. Is there a email or way I can message you? Not familiar with site..

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd like to order some shades from you. Is there a email or way I can message you? Not familiar with site..
Best way to reach me is through [email protected]

Each reefers needs are unique and this way I can send pictures, estimates and invoices easily. Let me know what you are looking for and I will help you out the best I can. Happy reefing!

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one potential enhancement i would like to suggest is some sort of vent ports on the shades. One thing i noticed is that the shade which goes around the entire light traps warm air inside and as a result the fans on the light run more than they would without the shade. Having some vent ports in the highest parts of the shade might help with this.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one potential enhancement i would like to suggest is some sort of vent ports on the shades. One thing i noticed is that the shade which goes around the entire light traps warm air inside and as a result the fans on the light run more than they would without the shade. Having some vent ports in the highest parts of the shade might help with this.

Curios which 3D light shade you have from @chemisfun11 ?

I have his 3D printed shades for my XR30s and the shades have vents on both sides of the lights. Do not find that the fans run more than normal with the shades on.

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the vent holes which allow the air to escape from the light fan vents... what i mean is that since the shade creates a cone underneath the light warm air accumulates there. It has no where to go. Some holes are required to allow it to escape. I have 3 lights and notices that if i take the shade of any one of them it runs cooler than the others throughout the day and the fans don 't kick on nearly as much or as loud.

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and it's the XR30 G5 Blue. The shade i have goes all the way around the light since i have them perpendicular

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the vent holes which allow the air to escape from the light fan vents... what i mean is that since the shade creates a cone underneath the light warm air accumulates there. It has no where to go. Some holes are required to allow it to escape. I have 3 lights and notices that if i take the shade of any one of them it runs cooler than the others throughout the day and the fans don 't kick on nearly as much or as loud.

My 3D shades only cover 3 sides - the back is open and probably allows more air flow and heat to escape.

B37737E5-EF10-43A6-887A-DFE41964EC6E.jpeg

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly. with 3 sides you avoid this problem

Wonder if you could drill a few holes in the back of the shade to allow the heat to escape?

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@tdyrkacz

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't aware that this was a potential issue for the 4 sided version of my light spill shades, but it makes sense. It is far easier for warm air to be trapped by the enclosure of 4 sides while a three sided version doesn't have this issue.

Perhaps I can design my 4 sided version with some ventilation holes in the back. My only concern is allowing light to spill through. This might be the fine line to walk. Noise and excess heat vs. light spill : which is the worse problem? I'm sure this will vary depending on the individual.

Keep me posted on your modification. I'm going to look at my designs and see if there is a logical place for additional openings to be placed.

Thanks for your input @PeterC99 and @tdyrkacz

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple questions….
1. Can these be printed in white and then I paint the outside black so that the white is the more reflective color on the inside and I do not have to worry about paint chipping off into my tank?

2. Are they easily removed for heavy tank maintenance for extra work space?

3. Can you print something similar to these for the ai prime hd? All the ones I have seen are just the standard straight wall shades.

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple questions….
1. Can these be printed in white and then I paint the outside black so that the white is the more reflective color on the inside and I do not have to worry about paint chipping off into my tank?

2. Are they easily removed for heavy tank maintenance for extra work space?

3. Can you print something similar to these for the ai prime hd? All the ones I have seen are just the standard straight wall shades.
@Derrick0580

1. Yes. If you go this route I would use a plastic adhesion primer then your paint. Some reefers have used aluminum tape inside the light spill shades to reflect more light in the tank too as an option.

2. If you get a 3 sided version of my light spill shades they are easily removed for maintenance. 4 sided versions can be raised slightly but not removed.

3. I may be able to create something similar for the AI prime. The prime has an unusual shape so I would have to tinker with my base model. Please send me an email at [email protected]

I don't get a lot of requests to print shades for the prime, but I can try to customize what you are looking for.

#TheMoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been debating as my G5 lights are only 7 inches apart. thoughts?

Attachments

• tempImageH5nC63.png
    tempImageH5nC63.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 38

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually exploring reflective surface addition. I think it can be a relatively easy to include, but it would have to occur as a post production process.
Where can we view more of your stuff? I’m looking for something similar for the hydra 32s

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.6%
Back