Anyone using Light Shades on Their Aquarium?

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’m liking y’all’s pics but wondering if they would be worth it with a hood? As I have 3 ai 32hd’s. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 031F5BBD-022C-4E89-A8AC-CD5E7EB252B4.jpeg
    031F5BBD-022C-4E89-A8AC-CD5E7EB252B4.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 103

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay I’m liking y’all’s pics but wondering if they would be worth it with a hood? As I have 3 ai 32hd’s. Thoughts?
Full disclaimer: I am the person selling the light spill shades.

I think a lot of reefers that have the light spill shades like the look of an open top or rimless tank look. My original 90 gallon display had a canopy or hood. It was a pain in the neck to work inside the tank. My next tank I went rimless and love the space and look of my new tank. Additionally, many reefers have young children and want to protect their children's eyes from the intense blue light emitted from the leds. Also, many reefers have wives or girlfriends that complain about the brightness of their lights and the light spillshades are a low cost option for some.

That being said, I think your hood/canopy does a fine job blocking light spill. It really boils down to each reefers personal aesthetic, goal and budget.

I hope I was helpful. Happy reefing and happy holidays to all!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclaimer: I am the person selling the light spill shades.

I think a lot of reefers that have the light spill shades like the look of an open top or rimless tank look. My original 90 gallon display had a canopy or hood. It was a pain in the neck to work inside the tank. My next tank I went rimless and love the space and look of my new tank. Additionally, many reefers have young children and want to protect their children's eyes from the intense blue light emitted from the leds. Also, many reefers have wives or girlfriends that complain about the brightness of their lights and the light spillshades are a low cost option for some.

That being said, I think your hood/canopy does a fine job blocking light spill. It really boils down to each reefers personal aesthetic, goal and budget.

I hope I was helpful. Happy reefing and happy holidays to all!
@chemisfun11 you make a really great point about tank maintenance. I aquascape all the time with my light shades attached. There is plenty of room to work around them in the aquarium. The added benefit of the shades is that I no longer accidentally bump my Radions and the diffusers drop in my tank.

Now, when I am doing major maintenance on my aquarium, the 3D light shades pop off in 2 seconds. When finished, the light shades also reattached in 2 seconds.

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put up 2 radion xr30s on my new tank and went looking for something exactly like this. One problem is that I think i will run my lights perpendicular. ChemisFun11 can you tell me if you are able to design a shade for the light if it is mounted this way? I would need shade from the front and 2 long sides.

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@tdyrkacz

The orientation of your lights won't be a problem at all. Lately, I have been designing many different types of shades for customers. I just haven't had the time to make any classifieds about them :) Lately I've been getting a lot of requests for 4 sided shades from owners of peninusula style tanks. Now, with a 4 sided shade you must remove your radion light to install the shade, but well worth a few minutes of time. It seems to be that @tdyrkacz your light shade would still be 3 sided, so install would be a breeze, but I'll send you a pm so we can discuss it further.

Anyone can reach me through reef2reef. For a faster response, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Happy Thanksgiving!

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tdyrkacz

The orientation of your lights won't be a problem at all. Lately, I have been designing many different types of shades for customers. I just haven't had the time to make any classifieds about them :) Lately I've been getting a lot of requests for 4 sided shades from owners of peninusula style tanks. Now, with a 4 sided shade you must remove your radion light to install the shade, but well worth a few minutes of time. It seems to be that @tdyrkacz your light shade would still be 3 sided, so install would be a breeze, but I'll send you a pm so we can discuss it further.

Anyone can reach me through reef2reef. For a faster response, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Happy Thanksgiving!
Lee, I’ll be reaching out to you for a pair of shades for my G5 Pro’s. My wife is thank you already and frankly I can’t wait to see my tank without being blinded. Also did you end up printing the ones 3 sided version if I run the lights the alt direction? Thx!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this design for EcoTech Radions. Photo credit to those on this board with these pics. Forgot to grab names. :)
A7D260F6-BF8C-4E2A-98BD-C685FBCCA6EF.jpeg
E77A3CA8-3C16-40DB-8BA6-00593C132321.jpeg
4D4CDC92-1BD8-4F01-B173-259DAD509D1A.jpeg
C8A4F0DB-7319-43BA-A21A-B7D29F7E72DA.jpeg
5A54A123-9BF3-410D-822F-493F16E3471E.jpeg

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Reefahholic My designs are very similar to those picture above. PM coming shortly. I believe the above are just pieces of cardboard and supported with some type of cord. I can assure you will get a light spill shade from me that will be solid single piece that will last a long time.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefahholic My designs are very similar to those picture above. PM coming shortly. I believe the above are just pieces of cardboard and supported with some type of cord. I can assure you will get a light spill shade from me that will be solid single piece that will last a long time.
My 3D printed light shades from @chemisfun11 are now 8 months old and look as new and as good as the day I installed them. Really like the clip on design which makes them easy to remove and clean.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lee, I’ll be reaching out to you for a pair of shades for my G5 Pro’s. My wife is thank you already and frankly I can’t wait to see my tank without being blinded. Also did you end up printing the ones 3 sided version if I run the lights the alt direction? Thx!
I love mine. It has really made the room quite relaxing without being blinded.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back