Unstoppable algae

mgmitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have had my 20 gallon now running for roughly 2 years and this algae is the only problem I face. I do a water change every 1-2 weeks as the algae builds up fast and I attempt to remove as much per water change. My tank currently has 2 clowns, 1 firefish, and one shrimp. I have minimal clean up crew, personally I don’t think they help the tank much and I have tried multiple different snails, crabs, etc.

How can I battle this algae in the best way possible? My light is on for 9 hours (pretty standard). Let me know your thoughts. I have any test kit if you think that is needed… I no longer test my aquarium as my limit corals seem happy.

IMG_2373.jpeg IMG_2374.jpeg IMG_2375.jpeg

SaltySqueeble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have an issue testing is important. Test nitrates and phosphates. You’re probably off. Too high or too low can be a problem. Whats your filtration like? There is a major Dino issue or something. You need pods or a whole tank treatment of some kind. And clean up crew really does work. Sand sifter snails, crabs, urchins.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no unstoppable anything in a nano.

I can fix your tank easily. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...-for-dinos-and-cyano-above-any-method.920767/

Partial cleaning vs full cleaning is 80% of your issue, and the lighting is too bright for the tank. We'd lower that after you make the tank shine in the after pics.

If you want your reef to look like the after pics seen there, we sure can. You need to clean it more assertively.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to read all sixty pages of work just scan the before and after pics lemme know if you've seen that much completed work in a thread before.

Instead of light cleaning, we take it apart and do big cleaning. It won't recycle your tank, it'll make it shine

Then we make some changes to your reefing approach from the clean condition

Matching the light intensity to the needs of the system will help re tune things but it doesn't remove that mass, we have to do it by hand if you want those specific results

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mgmitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have an issue testing is important. Test nitrates and phosphates. You’re probably off. Too high or too low can be a problem. Whats your filtration like? There is a major Dino issue or something. You need pods or a whole tank treatment of some kind. And clean up crew really does work. Sand sifter snails, crabs, urchins.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Tomorrow I will test my nitrates and phosphates. Filtration includes: filter floss, bio balls, and chemi-pure blue. I’ve got some snails and crabs but they won’t touch the algae, snails will only touch the algae on the tank glass. (Probably have 5ish nassarius snails too)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I have had my 20 gallon now running for roughly 2 years and this algae is the only problem I face. I do a water change every 1-2 weeks as the algae builds up fast and I attempt to remove as much per water change. My tank currently has 2 clowns, 1 firefish, and one shrimp. I have minimal clean up crew, personally I don’t think they help the tank much and I have tried multiple different snails, crabs, etc.

How can I battle this algae in the best way possible? My light is on for 9 hours (pretty standard). Let me know your thoughts. I have any test kit if you think that is needed… I no longer test my aquarium as my limit corals seem happy.

Please provide pics under white lighting.
Are you using rodi water or tap water from the faucet?
Is this tank by chance at or near a window?

OP
OP
M

mgmitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide pics under white lighting.
Are you using rodi water or tap water from the faucet?
Here it is under white lighting (with a yellow from my shrimp). Using RODI, tank has no other lighting than tank light. Tank is in basement with no natural lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_2376.jpeg
    IMG_2376.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2377.jpeg
    IMG_2377.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 30

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here it is under white lighting (with a yellow from my shrimp). Using RODI, tank has no other lighting than tank light. Tank is in basement with no natural lighting.
Appears to be a blend of diatoms, detritus and bacteria and I suspect you have insufficient water flow.
What type of tank is this and what filters are you utilizing?
Again, Are you using rodi water or tap water from the faucet?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

First - make sure your testing is correct. Second - you have not hing (i..e corals) - with which to compete with competing algae

EDIT - sorry this comment did not come through right from my phone. I meant to say - First, make sure your testing is correct. Second - You don't have things that compete with the algae (like coral, etc). Additionally -what percent of water are you changing? Have you thought about getting an urchin or 2 - after determining if there is any chemical reason for the amount of algae you have>

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mgmitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using RODI… tank has no natural lighting (not near a window). This is the Innovative Marine 20 gal. Tank doesn’t have a flow pump besides one it came with.

OP
OP
M

mgmitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - make sure your testing is correct. Second - you have not hing (i..e corals) - with which to compete with competing algae

EDIT - sorry this comment did not come through right from my phone. I meant to say - First, make sure your testing is correct. Second - You don't have things that compete with the algae (like coral, etc). Additionally -what percent of water are you changing? Have you thought about getting an urchin or 2 - after determining if there is any chemical reason for the amount of algae you have>
Hello! Ok…. So I just tested my phosphates and nitrates. Unfortunately… the test kits are expired. But from what I’ve read they can be accurate still, they’re made by aqua forest. Anyways, I decided to test with what I have and are choosing to assume general accuracy. My phosphate test only reads up to 0.15mg/l, I am currently definitely exceeding the number. When it comes to nitrates, I am around 10-20mg/l. I haven’t tested in about a year. When I used to test frequently, my phosphate was closer to 0.05-0.07mg/l and my nitrates were slightly lower. Sounds like a phosphate problem?
Looking back to when my numbers were more steady, I had a lot more corals and not as much of this algae.

Conclusions?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back