Anyone using the calcium Hanna Checker?

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Just curious if anyone here was using the calcium Hanna Checker? Seemed like it got a bad rap at first, but they've changed the reagent and supposedly made it easier.

Brandon

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the whole problem. The reagent wasnt the issue IMO. It was that you had to use lab grade DI.

Ill stick with my Salifert

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will probably wait on it, also. I've actually got two Salifert Calcium kits that came with my tank, anyway.

Brandon

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Calcium Checker and was all excited when I got it based on my experience with the ALK and Phos checkers, but it was a total let down. You couldnt get a consistent reading and then they admitted you needed to use a better syringe, then they said that regular RODI would not work as well. The margin of error is just too great for a hobby grade test kit IMO.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about trying it and returning it if I didn't like it (through Amazon), but I think I'll just pass on it and pickup the alk and phosphate instead. Hopefully a "local manufacturer" will get their calcium reactors rolling about the same time my calcium needs increase and I'll be able to test for alk most of the time, anyway. :)

Brandon

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salifert is much easier to use and is accurate enough. Imho..and yes i have one

FishNFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and have no problems..... we can debate all day about + or - errors... What you have to remember is were not chasing numbers...... We're only trying to get tanks in certain acceptable ranges.... There's room in those acceptable numbers.... so why not shoot for middle...that way the + or minus of any test kit out there doesn't really matter does it? IMO. Brandon let's get together sometime and compare Hanna against Salifert Calcium kit, I bet you'd be surprized as to how close they really are.

Last edited:

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob- I never said they gave bad results. I just said they were just plain too inconvenient compared to other checkers that hanna has.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Hanna Calcium checker. I haven't used it since the reagents ran out. As dowtish said it's not the easiest of tests to perform and that coupled with the cost of the reagents has kept me from continued use.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and have no problems..... we can debate all day about + or - errors... What you have to remember is were not chasing numbers...... We're only trying to get tanks in certain acceptable ranges.... There's room in those acceptable numbers.... so what not shoot for middle...that way the + or minus of any test kit out there doesn't really matter does it? IMO. Brandon let's get together sometime and compare Hanna against Salifert Calcium kit, I bet you'd be surprized as to how close they really are.

That sounds great, Bob. I'd like to compare the two and see the process you use to use the checker, also.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Brandon

FishNFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob- I never said they gave bad results. I just said they were just plain too inconvenient compared to other checkers that hanna has.
Oh I know Chris. I was just saying they work ok me for me with Regular RODI. I don't really like the one extra step either, but it takes less then 2 minutes to complete.....lol

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if we have a location for the May meeting yet or not, but would you be willing to demonstrate the calcium and other Hanna checkers at the May meeting if you can make it, Bob? Could be a great subject to cover.

Thanks,

Brandon

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back