Hanna N and P checker instructions

  • Thread starter Thread starter RobertK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RobertK

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
896
Reaction score
997
Location
NorCal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna Nitrate HR and Phosphate ULR checkers. I noticed in the nitrate instructions its says that after adding the reagent to the cuvette to "shake vigorously for 2 minutes" but in the phosphate instructions to "shake gently for about 2 minutes". I shake them both the same way. I would describe my shaking technique as slightly more vigorous than gentle but more gentle than vigorous shaking. Seriously, does this make any difference? The reagent dissolves and there no bubbles visible in the cuvette when I place it in the checker, isn't that all that matters?
 
Dissolved reagents and lack of bubbles when the timer runs out are, as you note, the reasons for shaking and setting. If that is happening you are mixing reasonably.
 
I mix for like 30 seconds tested, then another sample for 2 minutes. The result was the same.

As long as the reagent is dissolved I don't think it makes much difference.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new