Anyone with a cool water softy tank?

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that I have had running for 10 years now. For the first part of its life it was a mixed reef and I kept the water temps in the middle 70s year round. For the last five years the tank has been without corals and allowed to vary in temps depending on the season. Water temps fluctuate between 58 and 72. While the range is great this is over a full year, and happens slowly.

The only fish that are in the system are my pair of Bandit Angelfish that have been with me since day one with this tank!

My wife and I built a house two years ago, and she is demanding that the tank have corals again.
Well, my 10 year old bandits take priority over corals, so the water temps will not change.

Any ideas for soft corals that can handle water temps this low?

Thanks

~Michael

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second tank for the wife? Won’t those guys eat soft coral?

OP
OP
M

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were with lps, softies and clams for 5 years or so, ignored everything.

My wife has an elos mini already, but i am not allowed to make it a qt, lol.

It looks like my tank is destined to be a full nlown NPS tank...... I am having a hard time finding any info on cool water corals. This tank is not truly cold water so most of the cold water corals will not work. I need temperate corals.

OP
OP
M

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were with lps, softies and clams for 5 years or so, ignored everything.

My wife has an elos mini already, but i am not allowed to make it a qt, lol.

It looks like my tank is destined to be a full nlown NPS tank...... I am having a hard time finding any info on cool water corals. This tank is not truly cold water so most of the cold water corals will not work. I need temperate corals.

crayon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cold water tank that I’ve been working at making a temperate Reef tank over the last three years. I do keep the temperature at 65 degrees now, but have had it as low as 62 for quite some time.
I have had waratah anemones (blood red) halicurous anemones (I know the spelling is wrong) that are lime green - like highlighter glow in the dark green. Sponges and gorgs forever and also symphillia wilsonii that coloured up amazingly and was always really happy. Unfortunately our move last year wiped out almost all of my Coldwater tank so I’ve been taking it slow for now.
There are deepwater zoas which will thrive at the temperature you’re looking at.
I’m going to be trying a couple other corals (was actually just thinking about this last night) to see how they fare.
Keep this thread going, would love to know what you add.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back