Coral Expo Buying Guidance

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having my tank running for almost three years now I've finally been able to get a proper light setup and get the tank prepared for my first coral....so excited!
I went to the Lansing coral expo earlier this year to get some experience and am now planning to go the the Ann Arbor coral expo this weekend to look for my first purchase.
I'm looking to pick up simple starter type coral like gsp, Xenia, mushroom, maybe kenya tree, etc.
I'm looking for some help in transporting and preparing to put the first corals in the tank. I noticed everyone had coolers at the last expo with I'm assuming something to keep the water temp up. Should I be preparing to dip the coral, I have my qt running, should I quarantine, things like that.
Any advice is appreciated :)
Thanks in advance!

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring a decent cooler. You won't need to add any heat the corals will be fine for many hours as long as they arent put into intense hot or cold enviornments. Research what dip you would like to use. I'm a fan of coral rx and red sea dipx. You will want to float your bags or containers in your tank to match temp when you get home, mix up your dip and have a bowl of fresh sw from your tank next to it. Follow dip instructions, rinse coral in the bowl of fresh sw then add it into your tank.

Not much to it.

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring a decent cooler. You won't need to add any heat the corals will be fine for many hours as long as they arent put into intense hot or cold enviornments. Research what dip you would like to use. I'm a fan of coral rx and red sea dipx. You will want to float your bags or containers in your tank to match temp when you get home, mix up your dip and have a bowl of fresh sw from your tank next to it. Follow dip instructions, rinse coral in the bowl of fresh sw then add it into your tank.

Not much to it.
Fair enough, thanks for the reply. I'll look into dips, I see a lot of people using a Bayer or H2O2, I'll check out coral rx as well. I def don't want to over complicate things!

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, thanks for the reply. I'll look into dips, I see a lot of people using a Bayer or H2O2, I'll check out coral rx as well. I def don't want to over complicate things!
I would recommend staying away from Bayer unless you do a ton more research. That is not a beginner friendly dip. Coral rx is an off the shelf dip that's easy and safe to use.

Alien reefer will be at that swap, they are relatives of mine. Make sure to stop in and say hi!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I am trying to make it there too!
Cooler is good. I dip my corals also before they go in tank. I went to a store was really pretty nice in the detroit area 2 weeks ago for the first time. Good thing I dip corals is all I'm going to say. Corals looked good and still do though I wish I had a coral qt set up at this point after what was in the dip. Good over all inspection of corals is good too after the dip. The problem with inspection is it wont help if you dont know what to look for. Try googleing coral pests and eggs. Most pests will drop off in the dip their eggs will not.

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will def do more research before using Bayer. I like the off the shelf dip idea, like I said trying not to over complicate.
I'm pretty sure I saw Alien reefer at the Lansing expo, I will for sure stop by and give them a shout out!
Great idea to use a magnifying glass and look up coral pests, I will do that. What about frag plugs, I'm seeing everyone cuts the coral off the plug to help eliminate possible pests/eggs. I'm a wood worker by trade and although I don't have the little coral cutting band saws I can easily use one of my coping saws.
This is a 75gal and I've recently installed a couple radion xr15 gen 5's. Thinking I'll use the AB+ lighting but should I use a slow ramp up period on intensity?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to dip.

I use Bayer and find it much more gentle than Coral Rx, Revive and all of those. Turkey baster and all of that. A coral QT or observation tank would be better, but not always possible. The only reason not to use Bayer is if you cannot dispose of it in a way to not harm bees, IMO. There is little doubt that Bayer is easier on coral than Coral Rx and kills more things.

A lot of those vendors will order wild pieces on the cheap and have them trans shipped for the shows. The wild colonies are not so much the issue, but they are usually weak, were cohabitated with other corals from other parts of the world where pests can be an issue and they generally cannot fight off any issues. They are cheaer at shows because nobody has done the work to treat them already. Just be careful and you will be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good with the cooler, I'll only be 45mins - 1hr drive so not too bad. Smaller cooler to keep buying space in check seems like a good idea ..lol
Like I mentioned, I do have my qt up and running buts it's just a simple setup I use for observing new fish or treating with meds. Just a 10gal setup with hob filter and a heater, no light. I wasn't sure it was good enough for coral, or needed as long as I dip and look over things well.
Btw, @jda - that Warhol comment busted me out laughing in the middle of this house I'm working on!!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good with the cooler, I'll only be 45mins - 1hr drive so not too bad. Smaller cooler to keep buying space in check seems like a good idea ..lol
Like I mentioned, I do have my qt up and running buts it's just a simple setup I use for observing new fish or treating with meds. Just a 10gal setup with hob filter and a heater, no light. I wasn't sure it was good enough for coral, or needed as long as I dip and look over things well.
Btw, @jda - that Warhol comment busted me out laughing in the middle of this house I'm working on!!
no your coral QT should not be interchangeable with fish QT. It should basically be a frag tank, with lighting same or equivalent to your tank lighting.
Cooler with a strap comes in mighty handy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After having my tank running for almost three years now I've finally been able to get a proper light setup and get the tank prepared for my first coral....so excited!
I went to the Lansing coral expo earlier this year to get some experience and am now planning to go the the Ann Arbor coral expo this weekend to look for my first purchase.
I'm looking to pick up simple starter type coral like gsp, Xenia, mushroom, maybe kenya tree, etc.
I'm looking for some help in transporting and preparing to put the first corals in the tank. I noticed everyone had coolers at the last expo with I'm assuming something to keep the water temp up. Should I be preparing to dip the coral, I have my qt running, should I quarantine, things like that.
Thanks in advance!
Assure there are no sick specimens in with it, the coral responds to change in light and even touch, not droopy, and the water in the display is not cloudy/foggy

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to add to what everyone wrote about transporting and dipping.

My humble opinion - stay away from GSP. I love how it looks. Hate how it spreads. Wish I’d never brought it into the system. If you do it, put it on an isolated rock that’s not near anything else and keep it trimmed when it gets to the size you want.

Oh and GO BLUE! Originally from the Detroit area and a Michigan grad. Been in Minnesota now for years.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks in advance!
3 years?

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, current tank has been running about 32 months or so. First started in 2020 with a 29gal and made all the uneducated mistakes. Joined here begining of 2021, learned a lot and decided to move up to a 75gal and got that running that fall.
I wanted to wait till I knew the tank had matured and till I could afford a good light setup before moving into corals.
I feel pretty confident now in knowing my tank and that the lights I just got are sufficient. I'm a little nervous but excited!

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My humble opinion - stay away from GSP. I love how it looks. Hate how it spreads. Wish I’d never brought it into the system. If you do it, put it on an isolated rock that’s not near anything else and keep it trimmed when it gets to the size you want.
I have seen this a lot with GSP. I am aware and not sold completely on it, just looking for hardy, easy growing corals to start. I do have a couple isolated rocks I can place it on if I do go that route.
Trying to be smart and not buy uneducated or by eye candy factor alone...lol

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, current tank has been running about 32 months or so. First started in 2020 with a 29gal and made all the uneducated mistakes. Joined here begining of 2021, learned a lot and decided to move up to a 75gal and got that running that fall.
I wanted to wait till I knew the tank had matured and till I could afford a good light setup before moving into corals.
I feel pretty confident now in knowing my tank and that the lights I just got are sufficient. I'm a little nervous but excited!
What light did you get?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back