Anyone with Kessils and Radions?

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what else you're trying to light? Mixed reef, yes it will work and I would use 3 minimum. Acropora dominated tanks will require more fixtures, regardless of LED style. I like combining styles/types when mixing LEDs, I prefer using bars with Kessil's and Quanta Pro would be my choice. There's no right or wrong here, as every single LED fixture on the market will grow coral just fine, it's a matter of how many fixtures and how you use them. The great thing about Kessil's is the ability to mount them at different heights, using their lenses.
I'm running a CADE1800 with 2x32" Photons. I'd want to add a couple Kessils for the 'punch' to get the most out of my clams which are in the 'lagoon' locations at the left and right of my rockwork. I've been pretty happy with the Photons (which have more spread than the A360's), so unless there's a compelling reason to change, I'd stick with those so I can get the best of both worlds - spread and penetration.

This is an earlier picture before much livestock went in, but it illustrates the idea. My thinking was to mount them on my 80/20 framework, each about 16" in from the left and right sides immediately above the open sand where the clams presently sit.

20220827_133012-jpg.2804013

20220827_133043-jpg.2804014

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a CADE1800 with 2x32" Photons. I'd want to add a couple Kessils for the 'punch' to get the most out of my clams which are in the 'lagoon' locations at the left and right of my rockwork. I've been pretty happy with the Photons (which have more spread than the A360's), so unless there's a compelling reason to change, I'd stick with those so I can get the best of both worlds - spread and penetration.

This is an earlier picture before much livestock went in, but it illustrates the idea. My thinking was to mount them on my 80/20 framework, each about 16" in from the left and right sides immediately above the open sand where the clams presently sit.

20220827_133012-jpg.2804013

20220827_133043-jpg.2804014
I think you will get what you want from the Kessils. Whether you see it visually? I don’t know. Kessils, despite lackluster performance, are fantastic little spot lights to bump par for certain areas. Especially considering you can easily use 55degree and 32degree reflectors on them to direct light very specifically (say to a clam, or anemone). Currently I have my test-kessil with 55deg lens pointed at a very happy acropora colony.

I am running 4, Radion XR30’s over a 6 foot tank currently. I plan on adding one kessil between the Radions over an 81x24 footprint and use the lenses and swivels to direct the light where I think it’s needed. I do not know how the Radions compare to your specific lights but I can tell you that visually the Kessils are largely washed out by the Radions. Not completely, but mostly. I will have to wait for my new tank to arrive and get settled before I bust out the par meter but I’m sure it is higher over where the kessils are shining…it’s just not visually super apparent.

Closing- I wish I could swing the 500x’s and if you can…you should. My fish room/tank budget is currently the GDP of Turkmenistan so it’s out of the question. I ‘promised’ my wife we were good on lights so I’m already in hot water. You can run the 500’s at far less than 100% but I bet they’ll shimmer more.

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils, despite lackluster performance, are fantastic little spot lights to bump par for certain areas.
Exactly my plan. I'll look into the 500's. At one time I thought I'd trade out of the Photons for 3x of the Kessils, but it seems they're doing a good enough job and are well regarded, that the tradeoff would not outweigh the additional expense. But adding two for a bit of extra 'punch' may be in the cards.
My fish room/tank budget is currently the GDP of Turkmenistan so it’s out of the question.
LOL! That's pretty funny.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran just 6 360we kessils...

Felt there was a lack of light, would have been interesting to run both...

ExtremeCorals

#1 Online Coral Colony Website in the US
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to call me to discuss, I run kessils and Radions Xr3o on my tanks at facility. I can tell tell you my experiences. Scott 972-757-9048 #ExtremeCorals

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly my plan. I'll look into the 500's. At one time I thought I'd trade out of the Photons for 3x of the Kessils, but it seems they're doing a good enough job and are well regarded, that the tradeoff would not outweigh the additional expense. But adding two for a bit of extra 'punch' may be in the cards.

LOL! That's pretty funny.
I really had no luck with the kessils as a main tank light. I think you have a good plan.
Feel free to call me to discuss, I run kessils and Radions Xr3o on my tanks at facility. I can tell tell you my experiences. Scott 972-757-9048 #ExtremeCorals
appreciate it but I don’t talk on the phone as rule. . Do you just run them in general or do you use them to spotlight? Lens or no lens? Im on day 2 and I’m seeing the shimmer more. Kessils ramp around noon to 3-4 in the afternoon then pop up again before bed. Im using the 55deg lens. I ordered another 2-
Partially because I like it and partially because I think with an 81x24 footprint I’m a little “light” on light with just 4 XR30’s.

I also understand if conversely you’re not a “text” person.

ExtremeCorals

#1 Online Coral Colony Website in the US
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run them in general but I take ALOT of photos for my website. I ran just the Radions but added the Kessils back just gave a little more pop to the tanks and definately more shimmer. I do not use lens.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back