Anything that kills or even holds its own against msuhrooms?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was leafing through Coral Reefs: An Ecosystem in Transition and found a reference indicating that Bubble Corals (Plerogyra sp.) are one stony coral that (in the wild at least) demonstrates a clear ability to defend itself from mushroom coral invasion. (Can't find the exact ref now..but it was on or around page 352.)

In my experience at home, once a live rock has mushrooms on it, you may as well kiss your stonies on there goodbye.....sooner or later the shrooms will own the rock, and the stonies will die or never be happy.

Anyone else have evidence of a stony coral (successfully) fighting off mushrooms?

-Matt

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the neon red shroom's and they are taking over. They look great, but are starting to do their damage.Even started to kill a platygyra maze brain. And I thought the maze could hold it's own. WRONG!!!!

whixley101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump! Have the exact same issue. I have even considered buying a high powered laser!

Sent from my iPad using REEF2REEF

amppdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my 29g I was growing, frogspawn, chalices, acans, favias, Z&P's and mushrooms (discosoma and rics). 4 years later the baserock is all mushrooms and anything else is isolated on frag racks. The mushrooms even took over protopalys which I thought were the most evil coral plague in existence. Galaxia seems to hold its own though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back