FijiCube 38Gallon peninsula build

black huracan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reef Community!

Welcome to our aquatic journey, where passion meets perseverance, and a freshwater tank transforms into a mesmerizing marine masterpiece. Join my wife and me as we dive into the world of reef keeping, discovering the beauty of underwater life, and overcoming challenges to create a thriving ecosystem.

Chapter 1: The Genesis of Our Hobby
It all began when my wife and I were searching for a shared hobby to enhance our time together. The idea of having a pet piqued our interest, and after much contemplation, we decided to plunge into the vibrant world of fishkeeping. Little did we know, this decision would lead us on a remarkable journey filled with joy, learning, and a touch of unexpected chaos.

Chapter 2: The First Plunge
Our initial foray into the fishkeeping realm was marked by a 20-gallon tall freshwater tank. Excitement filled the air as we set up our aquatic haven, but alas, it wasn't as smooth sailing as we envisioned. Despite investing time and money into the setup, our early attempts faced challenges, including a dreaded encounter with dinoflagellates that left us feeling disheartened.
IMG_6524.jpg

(This tank was in a fishless cycle for 2 months. Because we didn't know what we were doing, I observed people pouring a whole bottle of bacteria and ammonia, then waiting for a week, and their tanks were done cycling. However, in my case, it never transitioned from ammonia to nitrite conversion. It just had a crazy amount of ammonia for weeks after weeks. As a response, I performed 80% water changes every week, added more bacteria, and so on. Finally, I tried a different type of bacteria, and the cycling process started the day after its introduction. in this tank was running tidal 75 hob filter with tunze light):anxious-face-with-sweat:

IMG_6622.jpg
IMG_6632.jpg

(yea, dinoflagellate)

Chapter 3: A Turning Point

Frustrated but undeterred, I decided to take matters into my own hands. A bold move, indeed! Armed with determination and perhaps a hint of mischief, I handed over my wife's credit card, empowering her to procure the essentials needed to turn our aquarium fortunes around. Little did she know what awaited her – a tank that would redefine our fishkeeping experience.

Chapter 4: The Unveiling
Within a mere two weeks of placing the order, our eagerly awaited package arrived at our doorstep. The moment of truth had arrived, and as I opened the box, I was greeted by the sight of our new tank – a stunning display of craftsmanship that surpassed all expectations. The shock and awe that washed over me were indescribable, setting the stage for the next chapter in our aquatic saga.
IMG_4965.jpg

(tank is here)
IMG_6667 (1).jpg
IMG_6668 (1).jpg

(Silicone Woes on a New Tank - FijiCube : I've emailed them expressing my concern, but they assured me it's fine. Since I didn't want to go through the hassle of re-shipping and waiting, I decided to take their word and keep it.)

Chapter 5: The Essentials: Setting the Stage for Success

As our new tank took center stage, it was time for me to play my part in this aquatic symphony – gathering the essential accessories that would elevate our setup to new heights.

5.1 Illuminating Brilliance: Choosing the Right Lights
The first item on my checklist was lighting, a crucial factor in creating the perfect ambiance for our marine inhabitants. Almost swayed by the allure of the AI Prime HD, I opted for the sleek aesthetic of the AI Blade. Its modern design promised not only functionality but also added a touch of elegance to our underwater world.
IMG_6556.jpg

the AI Blade 21inch

IMG_6691.jpg

(installed, and in a process of cycle)
(par reads at 170 at highest point 125 middle and around 90 sand, I don't plan on keeping sps yet since we are still a noob)

5.2 Skimming Excellence: IOAOI Protein Skimmer

Navigating the world of protein skimmers with back chamber compatibility was no small feat. After a meticulous search, the IOAOI Protein Skimmer emerged as the ideal choice. With perfect footprints and a rating fit for an 80-gallon tank, it seemed tailored for our needs. The ability to dial down the power for longevity was the icing on the cake, aligning seamlessly with our commitment to a sustainable and thriving environment.
IMG_6916.jpg

(IOAOI Protein skimmer, it started skimming after one day of installing it. also has the dc pump that i can adjust the speed of the pump. super quiet.)

5.3 Keeping it Tidy: Auto Top-Off (ATO)
For the unsung hero of tank maintenance, the Auto Top-Off system, I opted for a reliable generic model from Amazon. Ensuring a consistent water level, this unassuming device would play a vital role in maintaining the stability of our aquatic haven.

5.4 Testing the Waters: BRS-Recommended Test Kits
Understanding the nuances of water chemistry is paramount in the world of reef keeping. Trusting the recommendations from Bulk Reef Supply (BRS), I secured a set of test kits that would serve as our guardians, providing valuable insights into the well-being of our marine ecosystem.

Chapter 6: Unexpected Roommates - A Clownfish's Quirky Choice

In a delightful turn of events within the FijiCube 38, our youngest clownfish has made a rather unconventional choice for a new home. Instead of opting for the recently introduced bubble tip anemone, it seems to have developed a fondness for the torch coral.

6.1 The Unlikely Host: Torch Coral Tales
Today, as we observed the aquarium's inhabitants, the charming spectacle unfolded – the youngest clownfish, full of character, decided to call the torch coral its home. While we marvel at this unexpected companionship, I can't help but wonder if the torch coral minds the adorable intruder snuggling against its delicate tentacles.

6.2 A Quirky Bond: Clownfish and Torch Coral
As the clownfish rubs against the torch coral, there's a mix of amusement and concern. While it adds a quirky charm to the tank, there's a cautious hope that the torch coral remains resilient and doesn't face any unintended consequences from its newfound tenant.

Chapter 7: Green Intrigue - Deciphering Algae's Enigma

Within the dynamic environment of the FijiCube 38, a new narrative emerges—a tale of uncertainty surrounding the encroaching presence of hair algae on the rocks. The question lingers: is it the notorious bryopsis or a more manageable variety of hair algae? Your insights are sought to unravel this green enigma.

7.1 Unraveling the Green Tapestry
As the algae slowly weaves its way through the rocks, the identity dilemma intensifies. Is it the formidable bryopsis, known for its resilience, or a gentler strain of hair algae? I turn to the community for their discerning perspectives—what do you think?

7.2 Current Parameters: Seeking Community Guidance
Amidst this uncertainty, a snapshot of the tank's parameters emerges.
Alkalinity at 7.6
nitrate at 15.1
phosphate registering at 0.31
pH standing at 8.2
magnesium at 1280
calcium at 476. Considering the Redfield ratio, the delicate balance of nitrate and phosphate comes into focus. Perhaps an adjustment is in order, and your collective wisdom could be the compass in this algae-infested terrain.

7.3 A Delicate Balancing Act: Nitrate and Phosphate Considerations
Contemplating the Redfield ratio, a decision looms—raising nitrate or lowering phosphate. The prospect of chemical intervention for phosphate reduction gives pause, urging caution. A 15% weekly water change, a practice followed religiously, stands as a steadfast routine. A watchful eye and patience will be our allies as we observe the tank's response over the next month.

List
FijiCube 38gallon Peninsula tank /w fiji flow DC Nano pump 550GPH
IOAOI Protein Skimmer
Aqua Illumination Blade grow 21
Ai Nero 3
Generic ATO optical sensor
Redsea Salt (Blue bucket)
all-for-reef

Livestocks
2 Clownfish
1 Spotted Mandarin Dragonet
2 Firefish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Sexy Shrimp

Corals
regular Hammer,
3 acans (my wife loves them)
1 torch
2 candy cane
3 frags of firework cloves (my wife loves them)
3 unknown frag of sps (apparently its doing well without high par:thinking-face:)
3 different color of Goniopora (which are just NOT doing well)
3 different color of Zoas
1 toadstool
IMG_4974.jpg

Currently 12/24/2023
Marry Christmas to all!

IMG_4967.jpg

Just got one more tank for downstair, click here to go watch this tank gets build! (Innovative Marine 30L)

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations!

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome read! Excited to follow along. I too just purchased a Fiji Cube 38G Peninsula. Have all the equipment and everything just haven't set it up yet as I may be moving in the next couple of months - so will wait for that news first. Will try to post my journey as well. I am also in Virginia!

JC Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@black huracan

I see you also had issues with your silicone job. Mine was poorly executed as well. I will never support this company again. Other hobbyists on R2R have reported problems with their products and services. Below is my build thread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back