Mushrooms in mixed reef - yes or no ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be upgrading my 2 year old 75 gallons sumpless tank to a 110 gallons + sump, hopefully in a few weeks.

I have proceeded with getting rid of invasive corals : a remnant polyp of kenya tree, stray xenia polyps and an anthelia coral.

The main xenia coral was severely trimmed until I get rid of it after the transfer (some fish find comfort in it). I will scrape the GSP off its rock after the holidays and probably keep the one growing on the glass and try to glue it on the back glass of the new tank.

I don’t know what to do with the mushrooms. I really like the green ones and the dark orange ones. Light orange ones I might just get rid of them.

Here is my question : since I already have a lot of mushrooms and they spread fast, will they keep me from growing mostly LPS corals and a few LPS ? I wouldn’t want to have to take the rock out in a year or two to get rid of those mushrooms.

Here is what it looks like now :
IMG_1950.jpeg

IMG_1951.jpeg

Thanks !

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some nice shrooms you got there. The problem with shrooms even if you put them in there is your gonna have to crank flow for sps and lps which is hard enough to get right for those 2. Mushrooms do not like flow at all. I have had 3 diffrent kinds that have just blown right off their rocks after looking miserable for a long time. The only one i can find left is in the back left corner with just sand that is constantly on it. Not sure how its surviving to be honest.

If you can find a spot of low flow or make one off to the sides i would say go for it. They make nice fillers

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be upgrading my 2 year old 75 gallons sumpless tank to a 110 gallons + sump, hopefully in a few weeks.

I have proceeded with getting rid of invasive corals : a remnant polyp of kenya tree, stray xenia polyps and an anthelia coral.

The main xenia coral was severely trimmed until I get rid of it after the transfer (some fish find comfort in it). I will scrape the GSP off its rock after the holidays and probably keep the one growing on the glass and try to glue it on the back glass of the new tank.

I don’t know what to do with the mushrooms. I really like the green ones and the dark orange ones. Light orange ones I might just get rid of them.

Here is my question : since I already have a lot of mushrooms and they spread fast, will they keep me from growing mostly LPS corals and a few LPS ? I wouldn’t want to have to take the rock out in a year or two to get rid of those mushrooms.

Here is what it looks like now :
IMG_1950.jpeg

IMG_1951.jpeg

Thanks !
Mushrooms did not stop me from SPS and LPS.
I keep them low, and in corners versus the sticks kept at the top with big flow. I just let everything mix together and prune here and there.
IMG_2019.jpeg

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Ricordia growing on my rocks in my mixed reef that I couldn't part with. It's only a 30 gallon aquarium, and the Ricordia are beautiful mixed colors. I scraped them off the rocks, got them attached to, believe it or not a plastic herb tray sitting on a frag rack. I have been cutting them out one by one and gluing them down on my acrylic bare bottom at the "feet " of my scape. So far so good. Now that I've done it I've realized that's what was missing at the bottom of my reef, and I have added some more corals to the open space.
IMG_20231222_144930.jpg

IMG_20231210_201613.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have ricordea tho. They seem to be able to handle a little more flow.
Mine are green rodactis, red Actinodiscus and discosoma. They don’t seem to mind the flow I have right now.

Mushrooms did not stop me from SPS and LPS.
I keep them low, and in corners versus the sticks kept at the top with big flow. I just let everything mix together and prune here and there.
IMG_2019.jpeg
Beautiful tank !

Are hard to prune ? Would just picking them with a hemostat work ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back