AP700 par readings on RSM C-250

kiddbid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about the PAR values in my RSM C-250 with the Kessil AP700. I used the Apogee SQ-520. I roughly gridded out the tank using painters tape and a ruler.

20190222_235500034_iOS.jpg
Measurements:
Depth below water at 1, 6, 12 and 18 (sandbed) inches.
Width from back at 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15 inches.
Length from left at 6, 12, 18, 24 and 30 inches.

The AP700 is mounted about 7.5 inches above the water. The two light pucks extend about 6 inches into the tank's width and sit at 12 and 24 inches from the left. I chose the 5th light preset on the Kessil app and bumped the intensity to 100%. Light diffusers were removed and pumps were turned off for all measurements.
Each of the charts represent measurements taken at a different depth. As an example, box (L12,W6) would represent the spot direct below the left puck.

PAR_Values_RSMC-250_AP700.jpg

Empty boxes are areas where rock or coral are. Some of the measurement spots are areas that are likely shaded by coral so the numbers do seem to jump around.

I didn't bother recording measurements at the sides because numbers had such a range to not be useful and I consider the area to be mostly unused. However, the PAR peaked at about 150 on either side at about 12 inches deep and 9 inches from back so will likely place frag racks there.

I placed major diffusers on the lights and took some measurements at depth 6 inches. These measurements seemed to be about 25% lower. Out of curiosity, I measured point ( L24,W12) at depth 6 inches with the pumps on. The PAR fluctuated between 170 and 270.

I have to say that the measurements surprised me as I thought the readings would have been higher and I was being super cautious. I actually had this light with diffusers running at 60% and 9 inches above water before I started taking measurements. I think I'll bring it up to 80% and see how it goes.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm interesting readings. I wonder if the Apogee SQ-520 is picking up all the power of the blue channel. I observed through picture taking that blue on AP700 is much more powerful then all other lights I tried, I had to compensate a lot to get a decent quality picture. Took me a while to figure it out too. At 60%, with the light at 18" over a 12"-high tank I was bleaching everything.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm interesting readings. I wonder if the Apogee SQ-520 is picking up all the power of the blue channel. I observed through picture taking that blue on AP700 is much more powerful then all other lights I tried, I had to compensate a lot to get a decent quality picture. Took me a while to figure it out too. At 60%, with the light at 18" over a 12"-high tank I was bleaching everything.
Im having issues getting t5 frags acclimated to my ap700s.

Did you ever figure out what optimal intensity, mount height, helped you stop bleaching corals?

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about the PAR values in my RSM C-250 with the Kessil AP700. I used the Apogee SQ-520. I roughly gridded out the tank using painters tape and a ruler.

20190222_235500034_iOS.jpg
Measurements:
Depth below water at 1, 6, 12 and 18 (sandbed) inches.
Width from back at 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15 inches.
Length from left at 6, 12, 18, 24 and 30 inches.

The AP700 is mounted about 7.5 inches above the water. The two light pucks extend about 6 inches into the tank's width and sit at 12 and 24 inches from the left. I chose the 5th light preset on the Kessil app and bumped the intensity to 100%. Light diffusers were removed and pumps were turned off for all measurements.
Each of the charts represent measurements taken at a different depth. As an example, box (L12,W6) would represent the spot direct below the left puck.

PAR_Values_RSMC-250_AP700.jpg

Empty boxes are areas where rock or coral are. Some of the measurement spots are areas that are likely shaded by coral so the numbers do seem to jump around.

I didn't bother recording measurements at the sides because numbers had such a range to not be useful and I consider the area to be mostly unused. However, the PAR peaked at about 150 on either side at about 12 inches deep and 9 inches from back so will likely place frag racks there.

I placed major diffusers on the lights and took some measurements at depth 6 inches. These measurements seemed to be about 25% lower. Out of curiosity, I measured point ( L24,W12) at depth 6 inches with the pumps on. The PAR fluctuated between 170 and 270.

I have to say that the measurements surprised me as I thought the readings would have been higher and I was being super cautious. I actually had this light with diffusers running at 60% and 9 inches above water before I started taking measurements. I think I'll bring it up to 80% and see how it goes.
I have the same set up as you. Can you share your lighting schedule? I'm struggling to get a good setting on mine.

OP
OP
K

kiddbid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a 12 hour schedule. Tank was on t5's and then blacked out for a week because the power center fried.
At first I played around way too much with the different colors and intensities. When you go from on/off T5 to programmable LED, it's really easy to forget that just keeping things simple tends to work best but once I calmed down I started with this schedule in Aug'18:
Lights on 10% starting at the first blue color setting and ramping up 4 hours. Then a four hour peak and a four hour ramp down. Midway between the peak I changed color setting to the bluish/purple and peak was bluish/white. I changed colors simply because we liked the look and this is a house decoration as well as a hobby. I had a 40% peak with the major diffusers on. I set the acclimation at 75%. Ran the red moonlight for 4 hours. Over the course of 6 months I transitioned to 80% peak without the diffusers. Tank is mostly SPS. Coral were doing really great for four months and then the AP700 died. Kessil was pretty good about sending a new one but tank was dark for 10 days and coral have basically faded out. I am actually on my second AP700 as of a couple of days ago and starting the original schedule.
I did notice a difference in different coral responses transitioning from T5 to LED. Some SPS changed color, aggression, growth. Color on SPS tended to be better when viewed from above as opposed to more evenly distributed under T5. Some pieces that I liked under T5 just didn't respond as well and other pieces that I thought were dead just started growing new bases and reappeared on the rock. Overall, I think the species of higher light SPS responded the best once the schedule was consistent.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back