Weird PAR readings

camilenoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it make sense that the farthest corner of my aqua scape closest to the sand bed is reading the highest par?

So I broke down and rented a par meter to get my readouts for the new 14g cube I just set up. I have not added corals yet because I want to let the tank mature a bit first but I would love to get the light dialed in so that I don’t have to mess with it once they are in because I know consistency is key! On it i have a Smatfarm 60W G3 mounted 9in above the surface with my sand bed sitting about 14ish inches below the surface.
I have the settings as follows:
A: 40% (MIX reef recommendation by manufacturer)
B: 100%
C:100%

My light is slightly off center to the right side of the tank to accommodate the FluvalSmart Aquaclear 50 but gets a nice spread so I didnt mess with it too much.

I just went in and took some measurements around my tank and for some reason the lowest point on my rockwork all the way in the corner is having the highest reading at 230 while the highest point almost dead center under the light is barely 200. Anyone know why that could be? My plan was to do mostly LPS and softies but I wanted to try some SPS at the high points as well but its looking like the par is going to be too high for my LPS but not high enough for SPS!

I will attach the photo of 100% intensity par map from Smatfarm, my tank with par readings and a rendering of my coral placement plan! Advice is greatly appreciated!

My coral dreams/plan.
- Zoa garden on the left cascading rock
- Gorgonian
- SPS (probably Montipora digitata) on the top
- Hammer(s) branching off the arch
- Long polyp toadstool leather on the arch
- Daisy polyps on an island in the sandbed
- Ricordea on the sandbed
EVENTUALLY
- Tubastrea front and center sandbed (Yes I know they are a pain in the butt, I actually wrote my senior thesis for my BS in Marine Bio on them so I would like to have them at some point)

IMG_0180.jpeg IMG_0329.jpeg IMG_0504.jpeg

Last edited:

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the lens clean? hehe Sorry, I had to ask.
The angle you hold the par meter at will drastically affect your reading too. Make sure it's always pointed at the light no matter where you are.

OP
OP
C

camilenoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the lens clean? hehe Sorry, I had to ask.
It is brand new and I specifically made sure not to touch the lenses. I am having a bit of a cloudy bacterial bloom right now due to the newness of the tank so that might be why but if that was the case wouldn’t my readings all be lower?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it make sense that the farthest corner of my aqua scape closest to the sand bed is reading the highest par?

So I broke down and rented a par meter to get my readouts for the new 14g cube I just set up. On it i have a Smatfarm 60W G3 mounted 9in above the surface with my sand bed sitting about 14ish inches below the surface.
I have the settings as follows:
A: 40% (MIX reef recommendation by manufacturer)
B: 100%
C:100%

My light is slightly off center to the right side of the tank to accommodate the FluvalSmart Aquaclear 50 but gets a nice spread so I didnt mess with it too much.

I just went in and took some measurements around my tank and for some reason the lowest point on my rockwork all the way in the corner is having the highest reading at 230 while the highest point almost dead center under the light is barely 200. Anyone know why that could be? My plan was to do mostly LPS and softies but I wanted to try some SPS at the high points as well but its looking like the par is going to be too high for my LPS but not high enough for SPS!

I will attach the photo of 100% intensity par map from Smatfarm, my tank with par readings and a rendering of my coral placement plan! Advice is greatly appreciated!

My coral dreams/plan.
- Zoa garden on the left cascading rock
- Gorgonian
- SPS (probably Montipora digitata) on the top
- Hammer(s) branching off the arch
- Long polyp toadstool leather on the arch
- Daisy polyps on an island in the sandbed
- Ricordea on the sandbed
EVENTUALLY
- Tubastrea front and center sandbed (Yes I know they are a pain in the butt, I actually wrote my senior thesis for my BS in Marine Bio on them so I would like to have them at some point)

IMG_0180.jpeg IMG_0329.jpeg IMG_0504.jpeg
It could be reflection off the glass.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back