AP700 stopped working!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of my 700's just stopped working on me. I was going to increase intensity and it wasn't showing up on my app (but it was still on and working), in fact, for some reason, neither light was listed on my app and I had to reset the wi-fi on each light. I was able to connect to both lights, but only one would show up on the app, so I power cycled the lights and that's when it stopped working. I tried swapping drivers with no luck. @Kessil help!!!! The real crappy thing is I can't afford a new light right now. Ugh!

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the quickest service on this matter, I highly recommend calling your Kessil Customer Service Line at (510) 620-5250. They are open M-F 8:30am to 5:00 pm Pacific Time! Make sure to have the Serial number of the light ready when you can (this can be found on the top and starts with L4xxxxx). If they don't answer just call again in a few minutes there are only two representatives in the office at all times due to COVID-19 so just be patient with them :)

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the quickest service on this matter, I highly recommend calling your Kessil Customer Service Line at (510) 620-5250. They are open M-F 8:30am to 5:00 pm Pacific Time! Make sure to have the Serial number of the light ready when you can (this can be found on the top and starts with L4xxxxx). If they don't answer just call again in a few minutes there are only two representatives in the office at all times due to COVID-19 so just be patient with them :)
Thanks! I'm in contact via email now, but unfortunately the serial # that was on the light must've fallen off and I don't see one on the box. Of course, the light that's working (i have two 700's) has the sticker on top, go figure.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like there's no repair option for me. My light was missing the serial #, so there was no way to tell if it was covered under warranty or not. I kinda figured it was past the warranty phase due to how long I had the light and I was going to just have it repaired, but no such luck.
I wanted to thank Lorna from Kessil, she was pleasant to work with and was patient with me during these crazy times. I've always had great customer care from Kessil in the past and she continues that path.
They offered me a discount on a new AP700, but I would rather spend that money on a 360x instead. I really like the 700, but the app and software integration makes keeping this light long-term an issue. I really wished that Kessil would work on fixing the known issues with the light, the biggest issue is power failure and the inability for the light to resume its program without having to log into the app to update its time of day and resume the program.
Anyway, I'm going to open the light up and see if there's anything I can fix on my own? I guess my upgrade to all 360x's comes sooner than what I planned. Time to sell some frags to fund some lights.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They will not fix these out of warranty?
Not mine, but in my case, it may be due to different circumstances? No serial #. I bought it new as an open box (which should've come with the normal warranty?), so who knows? I've had nothing but stellar customer service from Kessil and Lorna was very nice, but I'm disappointed that I couldn't get it repaired. The light failed on it's own and I make sure that the ventilation fan is clear and clean. These lights have been running idle for almost 3 years without any major problems. I only increase the intensity and adjust the peak times, but that's it. If they would've offered a discount for a 360x, I probably would've taken them up on that offer, but not another 700. The hardware on the 700's is fine, but the software needed to be addressed and I would not buy a new 700 based on the software issues alone. You're better off getting 360x's or the new ap9x instead. Honestly, they need to come up with a resolution for the wi-fi software issue on the 700. Maybe something that plugs into the usb port on the unit that replaces the internal wi-fi chip with an updated firmware fix? I have another 700 that I'm going to sell in order to buy another 360x. It just kinda sucks that they dropped the ball on the 700 altogether.
I'm still a Kessil fan, just not this light.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't really fix it without the schematic. You could check for something gross like a blown fuse and power to ground short but anything signal related will be best done with a schematic.
If there is a fuse and it is blown, check for a power to ground short. From the description it sounds like nothing worked; no LEDs on.
Since the power supply is external it will probably be one of the drivers failed and blew the fuse.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back