Apartment Tank Help and Insurance

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha is it considered staying under 20g if your display is 20g and then you have a 20g sump?
Or is it a strict 20g total volume in entire apartment type of rule?

edit: Check to see if your state/province/municipality has its own bylaws regarding pets. Where I live most rental agreements state that there are no pets allowed but it's actually illegal to enforce this if you're the landlord. Nothing specific stated with regards to aquarium volume/weight though.
Im renting a house, it's much easier to get away with a leak when I'm in tile and no one living below you. I've already gone through a leak. And landlord never even knew.
And I think it's per tank not volume.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with your lease to see what it permits. If it doesn’t say anything about aquariums then I suppose you can either ask the landlord or just go ahead and do it (since the lease doesn’t say you can’t).

That said, kudos to you for thinking about this. If anything happens I’m sure you’ll want to know your risk. I used to live in a high rise condo where a hose to my clothes washer broke. Water leaked all over the wood floor and absorbed into the concrete. I ended up replacing a portion of wood floor out of pocket, and luckily the water didn’t flow into any units below.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inquired about them providing me that in writing just in case too. So looks like I should be good as long as the apartment allows the tank size I would settle on
It should be spelled out in your policy. If you have an online account, you can most likely download it and search (ctrl-F) for keywords like 'water' and maybe 'aquarium'. Just make sure you search the entire document AND make sure you check to see what section you're reading. For example, if you see the word "aquarium" make sure it's not in the category 'Exceptions'. Or if you see that water damage is covered, make sure there isn't also a section called 'Types of water damage not covered' and so on.
They're big and long and wordy, but make use of the search function and get a handle on how the policy laid out and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to scan through it.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha is it considered staying under 20g if your display is 20g and then you have a 20g sump?
Or is it a strict 20g total volume in entire apartment type of rule?

edit: Check to see if your state/province/municipality has its own bylaws regarding pets. Where I live most rental agreements state that there are no pets allowed but it's actually illegal to enforce this if you're the landlord. Nothing specific stated with regards to aquarium volume/weight though.
All the places I’m looking at allow pets. They usually just restrict the weight if anything. I’ve already found a few landlords that said they don’t restrict the number of gallons on tanks

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be spelled out in your policy. If you have an online account, you can most likely download it and search (ctrl-F) for keywords like 'water' and maybe 'aquarium'. Just make sure you search the entire document AND make sure you check to see what section you're reading. For example, if you see the word "aquarium" make sure it's not in the category 'Exceptions'. Or if you see that water damage is covered, make sure there isn't also a section called 'Types of water damage not covered' and so on.
They're big and long and wordy, but make use of the search function and get a handle on how the policy laid out and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to scan through it.
I always make sure to read the full lease. They have so many weird restrictions sometimes. I like to grill, and that’s always one of them

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest challenge is getting a landlord on board with it. In Florida, you'll play heck to find one that will let you have a goldfish, let alone a reef tank. Be up front about it. My daughter worked for a property management company and they frequently sent letters to renters ordering them to remove tanks... snakes, hamsters, herms, fish, etc. It would suck if you got it set up and got a letter like that.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest challenge is getting a landlord on board with it. In Florida, you'll play heck to find one that will let you have a goldfish, let alone a reef tank. Be up front about it. My daughter worked for a property management company and they frequently sent letters to renters ordering them to remove tanks... snakes, hamsters, herms, fish, etc. It would suck if you got it set up and got a letter like that.
I have one that already confirmed with me that they would be fine with me having whatever size tank I want. She seemed to think it was a really cool idea

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else, if you go forward with this, might be to get a couple of watchdog type alarms. It's not going to help in a catastrophic failure, but if something springs a leak in the middle of the night, it'll get your attention.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant that you should read through your insurance policy.
Gotcha. Yeah, they said it was covered and I countered requesting for them to send it in writing. Or if I could add a rider/umbrella coverage to explicitly state that any property damage due to an aquarium would be covered

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they said it was covered and I countered requesting for them to send it in writing
If they actually send you something that explicitly states they'll cover you if something happens, that would be great. But beyond that, the policy you have is essentially everything they will and won't cover, in writing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back