APEX + Abyzz = Return Pump Nirvana: The Missing Guide

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have scoured the internet and not found this information anywhere, so I thought I would post this here as well as on the Neptune Forum. Hopefully the following will be helpful to a fellow reefer.

As this is posted, Abyzz America has the APEX cables in stock and they have been outstanding to work with. Here is a link to the cable you need to connect your APEX and Abyzz pump: http://www.abyzzamerica.com/Abyzz-Interface-Cable-for-APEX-Controller-p/a-va-intapex.htm

The physical connection is straight forward; serial cable to ‘Master’ input on Abyzz control box and RJ-45 into an available variable outlet port on your APEX. Here are the 4 entries I made using APEX Fusion:

PROGRAM

[ Return_Pump ] ( Physical EB832 Outlet)
Fallback ON
Set ON

[ Abyzz_Pump ] ( V1 Outlet)
Fallback Abyzz_Day
Set Abyzz_Day
If FeedA 005 Then Abyzz_Feed

PROFILES

[ Abyzz_Day ]
Ramp Time: 1
Start Intensity: 58
End Intensity: 58

[ Abyzz_Feed ]
Ramp Time: 1
Start Intensity: 53
End Intensity: 53

Hints:

a) I found that programming wasn't necessarily a perfect match. I am running an A400 as a return to the first floor from a sump located in the basement at 60% on the A400 controller. When set at 60% on the APEX, the Abyzz controller was showing 62%-63%. The easy fix was to adjust the APEX to 58%.
b) In order to avoid splashing water when the pumps started up again, I wanted a slow trickle into the overflow when feeding (enough to keep the return line full, but not sucking food into the overflow). I was a little surprised at how high the pump needed to be set to maintain head pressure, but it makes sense. You will need to experiment with what works best for your aquarium.

If anyone has questions, post away!

M

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$189 for a cable? Has reefing become the new audiophilia? Is the cable made of 99.999% purity silver? :D

OP
OP
Want2BS8ed

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$189 for a cable? Has reefing become the new audiophilia? Is the cable made of 99.999% purity silver? :D
There is more there than just a cable. Not sure if it is an opto-isolator or an analog/digital converter, however there is a small aluminum box inline between the RJ45 and serial cable that draws power from the Abyzz control box.

I won't try and defend the $189 price tag, but then again you are connecting it to a $2,500 pump - one with a 10-year warranty that will pay for itself in energy savings long before the warranty expires when compared to an equivalent AC pump.

The controllability through an APEX is just a bonus.

M

Back