Apex Alarm = OFF

65Naja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Situation - I have an VarioS 8 as a return pump and it is being controlled through a 0-10V cable from my Apex unit. I have set up a variable speed table controlling the pump output speed as I wanted a speed that was not one of the standard speeds available on the VarioS controller. During the majority of its operation it consistently runs my desired return speed. It is when I enter a feed cycle that is the challenge. As I do not want the pump to shut off, I run it down to a lower speed to reduce but not eliminate the return flow. This works very well for me and accomplishes two things. 1. It keeps the system from back flowing and 2 it keeps the food moving around in the water column rather than just falling to the tank bottom.

That part works well and to accomplish this I used a Variable speed TBL to set the desired operational speed and then -> under configuration -> advanced - I added
If FeedA 008 Then 8 which drops the speed down during the feed cycle.

This works the way I like it. Because the only thing in this world that remains consistent is change. I elected to add power monitoring to the pump outlet.
I configured it to send me a text alarm if the power range of the pump outlet varies out of my normal operation power range.
My research and thought is that this would indicate a pump situation that needs attention.

The challenge I am now having is that when the pump enters the feed cycle the power drops out of the normal operating power range triggering the alarm.
What I would like to do but cannot seem to find the simple answer is just add a line to the outlet that says If FeedA then <Power Monitoring Off> or <Minimal power monitoring value 2W> but that doesn't seem to be available.

I hope I am missing the simple and I also hope I do not have to change everything over to virtual outlets for such a simple power monitoring pause need.

Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.

the_cros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would create a virtual outlet and use that to control the alarm.

VO-Pump-Alarm
Set Off
If Output name [Amps/Watts] < 5 Then ON
If Output name [Amps/Watts] > 20 Then ON
If FeedA 008 Then OFF

Then in your alarm code you just use the VO-Pump instead.
If Output VO-Pump-Alarm ON Then ON

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would create a virtual outlet and use that to control the alarm.

VO-Pump-Alarm
Set Off
If Output name [Amps/Watts] < 5 Then ON
If Output name [Amps/Watts] > 20 Then ON
If FeedA 008 Then OFF

Then in your alarm code you just use the VO-Pump instead.
If Output VO-Pump-Alarm ON Then ON
This is the approach I would use as well.

@65Naja If you're not familiar with virtual outputs, see my tutorial here:

Also, my tutorials on Apex Power Monitoring and Apex Alarms might be useful:

OP
OP
65Naja

65Naja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, I had something very similar to that in mind, I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a simple Power Monitoring OFF / ON call while in a Feed Cycle. To me that would be a nice upgrade to the Apex programming language.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back