Apex and multi-headed dosers (that aren't DOS)

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to start dosing Kalk. I was going to use the ATO like I did in the previous incarnation of my tank, but that seems to be out of favor now, and people recommend dosing pumps, which makes sense. The DOS is just too expensive right now, so I was looking at the BRS 50 ml doser, and I'm pretty sure I know how I would set that up with Apex. But then I started looking at possible future applications, and there is this 4-head Simplicity doser for a bit under 2x the price of the BRS single. I'm actually not sure if it can supply enough for Kalk but at least in theory, is it possible to control a multi-head dosing pump with Apex, other than DOS? If you're just using the outlet, it seems like it would be all or nothing. For instance, say I'm dosing 2-part, NOPOx and Kalk, and my pH hits an upper boundary, I would want to turn off Kalk, but not NOPOx. Is that possible? I am guessing it's not...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, the only dosing system that works with the Apex is the DOS (at least as far as I've found). Beyond turning it on and off via the outlet, that is. There are even some inherent limitations with the DOS. For example, while it tracks how much is actually dosed - you can't trigger actions based on this, ie: turn the DOS off if it exceeds 50ml in a set timeframe.

In answer to your specific question, yes - if you run your dosing system on an Apex-controlled outlet - you could have the Apex pH probe monitor and trigger the dosing out let on or off. I don't know if this setup would be as accurate/timely as you'd need (beyond my area of expertise).

When it comes to kalk my advice is to not "cheap out", because R2R is replete with "overdosed kalk in my system" posts.

OP
OP
B

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk isn't as concentrated as, say, 2-part (hence why it uses the faster doser) so I think using the OSC command in Apex and essentially forcing it on/off with that and a power outlet, along with a check of the pH so it doesn't come on at all if it's over a set amount, would be safe enough (famous last words? I hope not!) but I suspect you are correct about it's ability to control multi-head pumps.

I'm sure you're right about the "not cheaping out" thing but...over $300 for a pump to dose kalk is a lot. Although I guess I could use the other head for something else...hmmm...

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk isn't as concentrated as, say, 2-part (hence why it uses the faster doser) so I think using the OSC command in Apex and essentially forcing it on/off with that and a power outlet, along with a check of the pH so it doesn't come on at all if it's over a set amount, would be safe enough (famous last words? I hope not!) but I suspect you are correct about it's ability to control multi-head pumps.

I'm sure you're right about the "not cheaping out" thing but...over $300 for a pump to dose kalk is a lot. Although I guess I could use the other head for something else...hmmm...
Have you check out one of these https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-dosing-pump . I have used it for ATO for almost 2 years now. It comes with a drive port cable but you can get a 12 volt Kamoer power supply for $18 to use it with an AC outlet. You may have a spare 12 volt power supply that will work since it does use a common DC jack for power. It runs when powered and has around 43ml per minute flow rate. The pump is made by Kamoer for Hydros.

OP
OP
B

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you check out one of these https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-dosing-pump . I have used it for ATO for almost 2 years now. It comes with a drive port cable but you can get a 12 volt Kamoer power supply for $18 to use it with an AC outlet. You may have a spare 12 volt power supply that will work since it does use a common DC jack for power. It runs when powered and has around 43ml per minute flow rate. The pump is made by Kamoer for Hydros.
That does look like a very reasonable single pump option.

OP
OP
B

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Which dosers that aren't DOS?" he asks, then immediately purchases a DOS :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I found a lightly used one and it just made sense to go with that. I'll probably use the second head for the DIY NOPOx I've been running.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back