Apex and power outage

Texasnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my power has went out 2 times in the last month for 15min or so and when it turns back on the Apex won't connect to internet I have to unhook aquabus so head unit losses power then when it reconnects it makes up several new tiles and my cor20 resets to default settings. I have to go back into fusion and erase old settings as 4-5 modules have duplicated and old ones don't work. Any help would be great. Apex support sent a long email that I gotta read but not sure they understand my question

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the power briefly (<2 minutes) cut out a few times in the past 2 years since I've had my Apex and it's always reconnected right away to my WiFi (no issues).

The times where my Apex has lost connectivity seems to be related to the number of WiFi nodes I'm running - so I've tried to pare this down a bit with the various devices. Sometimes I typically have to wait a few minutes -or- reboot my WiFi router to get everything reassigned - then the Apex connects right away.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the head unit?
The symptoms are consistent with the head unit not being able to save settings. This could be due to degraded memory.
You can probably verify by manually making a change (e.g. rename an outlet), saving it and power cycling the unit (~1-2 minutes). If the change is reverted, your unit has an issue storing data.

OP
OP
Texasnano

Texasnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the power briefly (<2 minutes) cut out a few times in the past 2 years since I've had my Apex and it's always reconnected right away to my WiFi (no issues).

The times where my Apex has lost connectivity seems to be related to the number of WiFi nodes I'm running - so I've tried to pare this down a bit with the various devices. Sometimes I typically have to wait a few minutes -or- reboot my WiFi router to get everything reassigned - then the Apex connects right away.
Main issue is if I'm not home then I can't reboot nor will Apex connect

OP
OP
Texasnano

Texasnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the head unit?
The symptoms are consistent with the head unit not being able to save settings. This could be due to degraded memory.
You can probably verify by manually making a change (e.g. rename an outlet), saving it and power cycling the unit (~1-2 minutes). If the change is reverted, your unit has an issue storing data.
Brand new been hooked up for a month

OP
OP
Texasnano

Texasnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why all the new tiles created. My Cor20 resets and goes back to default settings? I'm on fiber internet

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen a couple of times when my 2016 head unit was new. I concluded that it did not like losing power so I connected it to a UPS. Head draws very little juice so a decent UPS will run it for a while. Never had any issues after that.

OP
OP
Texasnano

Texasnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen a couple of times when my 2016 head unit was new. I concluded that it did not like losing power so I connected it to a UPS. Head draws very little juice so a decent UPS will run it for a while. Never had any issues after that.
Ups?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even back in the day, my first gen unit would reconnect :/
Yup. My classic works fine with any outage. The new A2 I bought a few months ago, sucks in that regard. I usually have to power cycle it anytime my external IP settings (semi static) changes (approx every 3 months). I'm running it wired since the wifi frankly... sucks.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. My classic works fine with any outage. The new A2 I bought a few months ago, sucks in that regard. I usually have to power cycle it anytime my external IP settings (semi static) changes (approx every 3 months). I'm running it wired since the wifi frankly... sucks.

Why did you change?

I haven't had a tank since like 2017, so...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have 2 classics running on different tanks along with a classic apex Jr. I went A2 because the third classic finally went belly up (newest one ironically). It wasnt worth the hassle to try n get it fixed by neptune or aftermarket.

Also, I was considering possibly a trident @ one point as dos, trident, LLS and a few accessorys wont work with the A1 classic. Decided old school dosing and just regular testing work ok for now.

KeepAFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uninterruptible Power Supply. It is used to give a laptop or other device a few minutes of power to boot down without abruptly turning off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back