Apex and web cams??

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of hooking up a web cam to the Apex. Anyone here done this yet and what camera are you using? How about a description on how you go about hooking it up.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully we get some answers. I've seen a few posts but they were really old ones. I'm hoping to get a web cam that gives pretty good quality and the ability to zoom.

Semperfi devil!

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently hooked up a Foscam to the web. It was long drawn out PITA. First you hook it up to your computer via hard wire. Then you teach it to go wireless unless you can keep it hardwired. Once you do that you need to teach your router port forwarding for the IP address so you can have two way communication from more than just your home network . Afterward you can eventually get the web stream address figured out to hook to your apex. Eventually your cam will change its IP address so you need to give it a static IP.

Yesterday, I lost connectivity to my camera and need to once again get on my desktop computer to figure out what happened.

Unless you're somewhat tech savvy you might want to reconsider hooking up an IP cam. They can be difficult if you don't know where to start. Its not as easy as just connecting your phone, laptop or tablet. With a bit of research you will get it figured out though.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a pain ! Thanks for the advice. Is there an easier way?? Maybe it's the camera you picked? I'm not looking forward to all those problems lol!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my research, it isn't worth even doing due to the limitations of ApexFusion. You are better off just using the software that comes with your camera which will allow you to pan, zoom, use higher resolutions, etc.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my research, it isn't worth even doing due to the limitations of ApexFusion. You are better off just using the software that comes with your camera which will allow you to pan, zoom, use higher resolutions, etc.

I agree it looks like it could be a pain. Maybe Neptune systems will soon come out with a plug and play camera for the systems "fingers crossed" ! I agree the software with the camera would work just fine . I like the idea of having it integrated with the dashboard....

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What model number Dlink did you use?? Does it allow you to zoom etc??
Unfortunately the ability to zoom doesn't work with Apex....doesn't matter what camera you use. It only allows a streaming live feed....no controls over the camera.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the ability to zoom doesn't work with Apex....doesn't matter what camera you use. It only allows a streaming live feed....no controls over the camera.

Is it possible to go from the cameras web based software.... Zoom etc... The go back to the dashboard?? I would think you could do that??

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to go from the cameras web based software.... Zoom etc... The go back to the dashboard?? I would think you could do that??
Yes you can control cameras from the mfg software or I use IP Cam on my cell phone to PTZ two of my three cameras and the changes show up on Fusion.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Jonmos75 stated...the camera is just providing the live feed. If you zoom the camera in or change camera positions (using external software), it will be reflected on your Apex live feed. You just can't control it within ApexFusion.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Foscam ip cameras on my tank, one turned to the skimmer and another on the tank display itself. Nice thing is with the camera software i can adjust the camera angle on the one so I have a view of the room as well.

They were not to bad to setup, a few duh moments but I figured it out. Making sure the cameras had the latest firmware was the most time consuming thing.

there is a whole section on the neptune Community forums on setting up cameras and troubleshooting issues.

I view mine about 90% on the camera ap rather than on Fusion but it is nice.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back