Apex ATO Programming

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping someone could help me with an apex program. I have the following equiptment

Optical Sensor 1: ATOHi
Optical Sensor 2: ATOLow
apex Solenoid: Solenoid
RODI floatvalve

Was hoping to do the following program (the indented ones i am not quite sure how to do.

Fall Back Off
Set Off
If ATOLow Open Then On
Min Time 002:00 Then Off (run for 2 minutes at most)​
If ATOHi Closed then Off
Defer for 600:00 Then On (I dont want to turn on...just dont want it to run again for 10 hours for which it has to see if ATOLow is open)​
My float valve is for redudancy just in case it doenst turn off for whatever reason.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the standard way to do it:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If ATOLow OPEN Then ON
If ATOHi CLOSED then OFF
When On > 002:00 Then OFF
Min Time 600:00 Then OFF

Read my ATK Tutorial for a description of how this code works:

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the standard way to do it:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If ATOLow OPEN Then ON
If ATOHi CLOSED then OFF
When On > 002:00 Then OFF
Min Time 600:00 Then OFF

Read my ATK Tutorial for a description of how this code works:
Thank you for this. I read through your tutorial and one thing that I am not quite sure I under. Will this above program automatically turn off the solenoid when ATOLow closed? I was hoping to let it run until either 2 minutes or ATOHi is closed. Based upon your tutorial..it will turn off once ATOLow is closed.

The reason that I am asking is that I am actually using this to fill up my Reservoir and I dont want to keep running and stopping my RODI filter. I am using my Tunze to actually fill up low water in my sump.

Again..thank you in advance.

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this. I read through your tutorial and one thing that I am not quite sure I under. Will this above program automatically turn off the solenoid when ATOLow closed? I was hoping to let it run until either 2 minutes or ATOHi is closed. Based upon your tutorial..it will turn off once ATOLow is closed.

Again..thank you in advance.
It will turn on when ATOLow reports OPEN, then turn off once ATOLow reports CLOSED. ATOHi is only operating as a failsafe in case ATOLow fails to sense the water. Then the 2 minute When timer acts as the emergency shutoff if it runs longer than 2 minutes.

This method keeps the water level much more consistent and provides two extra layers of failsafes. This is the generally accepted best-practice method.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will turn on when ATOLow reports OPEN, then turn off once ATOLow reports CLOSED. ATOHi is only operating as a failsafe in case ATOLow fails to sense the water. Then the 2 minute When timer acts as the emergency shutoff if it runs longer than 2 minutes.

This method keeps the water level much more consistent and provides two extra layers of failsafes. This is the generally accepted best-practice method.
I figured out how to modify your code base to achieve what I am looking for. (looks like you typed your response as I updated the reason I was asking for my program...i want to fill my resevoir, not my sump)

I just defer to 8 hours to allow for 8 hours of evaporation to take place, let it fill for xx minutes (which I am going to have to adjust once i get the flow rate, then delay for 2 hours before I allow for the program to run again.

Thank you for your help

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If ATK_LO OPEN Then ON
If ATK_HI CLOSED Then OFF
When On > 005:00 Then OFF
Defer 480:00 Then ON
Defer 000:04 Then OFF
Min Time 120:00 Then OFF

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back