apex controller usb cords

actps304

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
greetings,

this might be dumb question, but will a male to male usb cord work for connecting modules? or do i need to buy the neptune specific?

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tried it with anything but the Neptune cords. Documentation warns against using standard USB.

OP
OP
A

actps304

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i was just wondering if it was a marketing ploy to get us to get us to buy a more expensive cord.
smithben how long have you used a non neptune cord?

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the literature say dont use standard USB cord? I remembering it warning not to plug in USB devices but I dont recall any warning on the cord itself.

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot use USB cords for Neptune modules! I am guessing Smithben got lucky and is using a USB without repeaters, and the same general electrical specs that the apex uses. Do not try using your apex with any old USB cord!!

Why are you trying to negate using the neptune systems cords? Are you trying to run a cord a long ways? If you are looking to run an apex aquabus (USB tips) cord more than the 15 ft. (the longest cord neptune systems will sell to you), go to:

Long USB Cable for Apex - Use only with Apex Aquarium Controllers - USBFireWire.com - 877-522-3779

and pick a length, they will custom make the cord from 50' - 100' to Neptune's specs and should work great.

Last edited:

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The apex "aquabus" is likely an i2c bus (or some variation) and they are using USB terminals on the cables for user friendliness but they should NOT be confused with USB.

USB is a hierarchical star topology network and the apex employs a linear (daisy chain) topology network.

Use only the cords that neptune recommends or risk component damage.

Ltlevil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of several people that use standard USB cables WITHOUT A REPEATER. If it is a standard passive USB cable I have not seen one that wouldn't work or caused any damage.

Back