Apex controlling remote pump?

RonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing my journey to automate water changes...

- Peristaltic pump in the basement where my salt reservoir lives.
- Need to pump it up (two floors) to the display tank (10g holding tank). Given the head pressure, it takes time so needs to be automated.
- Want to automatically turn off the pump in the basement when the upstairs tank is full. I have Apex upstairs, water sensors, etc. but can't figure out how to automatically turn off the outlet in the basement when full. Running a wire is logistically prohibitive.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am confused. I have the same remote setup for water transfer. ATO, salt, whatever.
If you can run plumbing, then you can run wire. I do not see how you can do one but the later is logistically prohibitive.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing my journey to automate water changes...

- Peristaltic pump in the basement where my salt reservoir lives.
- Need to pump it up (two floors) to the display tank (10g holding tank). Given the head pressure, it takes time so needs to be automated.
- Want to automatically turn off the pump in the basement when the upstairs tank is full. I have Apex upstairs, water sensors, etc. but can't figure out how to automatically turn off the outlet in the basement when full. Running a wire is logistically prohibitive.
What Sean said...

Whatever you do, do NOT rely on any form of domestic wireless networking to control a pump.

Some type of pressure sensing pump may work if you have an electrically controlled normally closed valve at the tank end.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or why not just mount the pump near the aquarium and run the tubing to the basement? Head pressure is the same either way.

OP
OP
RonS

RonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback!

I had a couple pipes run when the house was remodeled, but completely failed to consider wiring. Retrofitting wiring (or changing the existing plumbing) would require digging up the kitchen ceiling. Not a spousally approved activity.

I guess I can try pulling the water up, I just assumed that would be more problematic than the other way around. Its like 16-18 feet of height that needs to be overcome and the pipes are somewhat larger than just the normal 1/4".

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait are you trying to use a larger waterline that is already installed? I doubt a peristaltic pump is going to be able to use a larger diameter pipe to move water with that much head pressure.
Why not just use the line that’s already installed as conduit to run some 1/4 lines and an aquabus cable through it?

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you not install a float valve In the tank? I have some huge runs from my DOS to my water tank and then drain. Amazing pumps.

OP
OP
RonS

RonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gtinnel - yes, sadly. the lines that were installed are pex. I've tried pulling 1/4 line through them but there are three bends and I can't make it around the corners. The output of my RODI, with city water pressure makes it work just fine, so I was hoping to repeat that with the salt.

@ReefRondo - I have a float valve installed as a backup, but I figured that leaving the pump running 24/7 down below would be a "bad thing" (tm)?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gtinnel - yes, sadly. the lines that were installed are pex. I've tried pulling 1/4 line through them but there are three bends and I can't make it around the corners. The output of my RODI, with city water pressure makes it work just fine, so I was hoping to repeat that with the salt.

@ReefRondo - I have a float valve installed as a backup, but I figured that leaving the pump running 24/7 down below would be a "bad thing" (tm)?
If you do not mind spending a few bucks, you can use a Klein fish tape intended for low voltage cabling. These specific tapes are intended to be used with inter-duct or small diameter piping with multiple bends.For example, inter-duct is a ribbed flexible conduit and is one of the hardest items to feed cable through due to this. This is why they usually come with mule tape or a pull string pre-installed. But once someone pulls that out, it becomes a fun day without a decent fish tape.

With that said, you can also install a pull string without a fish tape, if you have a decent shop vac. You would buy some pull string and then use the shop vac to "suck" the string through the pex. Being as the string is super flexible, it will usually make it around any bends without issue. Trick os to rig up something to where the shop vac can get full suction on the pex. This can be done with a few reducers and some tape to seal it up. This is the method I used to feed 1/4" line through pex over a 250' run from my fish barn to my garage. I had a huge roll of pex, so laid it in the ground 18" to be able to move water from the garage to the barn and vice versa.

Edit: You can also pull a USB cable through the pipe this way, but will need a cable with an end that can be removed or you will need to solder a new end on once pulled. THis is provided that the head will not fith through the pipe. If the head will fit, pull it first and pull another pull string through the pipe when you pull the cable trough. This will allow you to be able to pull 1/4 line through after you pull the usb cable through.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not mind spending a few bucks, you can use a Klein fish tape intended for low voltage cabling. These specific tapes are intended to be used with inter-duct or small diameter piping with multiple bends.For example, inter-duct is a ribbed flexible conduit and is one of the hardest items to feed cable through due to this. This is why they usually come with mule tape or a pull string pre-installed. But once someone pulls that out, it becomes a fun day without a decent fish tape.

With that said, you can also install a pull string without a fish tape, if you have a decent shop vac. You would buy some pull string and then use the shop vac to "suck" the string through the pex. Being as the string is super flexible, it will usually make it around any bends without issue. Trick os to rig up something to where the shop vac can get full suction on the pex. This can be done with a few reducers and some tape to seal it up. This is the method I used to feed 1/4" line through pex over a 250' run from my fish barn to my garage. I had a huge roll of pex, so laid it in the ground 18" to be able to move water from the garage to the barn and vice versa.

Edit: You can also pull a USB cable through the pipe this way, but will need a cable with an end that can be removed or you will need to solder a new end on once pulled. THis is provided that the head will not fith through the pipe. If the head will fit, pull it first and pull another pull string through the pipe when you pull the cable trough. This will allow you to be able to pull 1/4 line through after you pull the usb cable through.

Have to say the shop vac trick is golden.

OP
OP
RonS

RonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve Hey thanks for the feedback! I actually succeeded with the trick with the vaccuum to pull a "starter line" through but always ended up breaking off when I tried to to pull the tubing through, regardless of the line type I used. I'll check out the fish tape you recommend.

Cheers!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve Hey thanks for the feedback! I actually succeeded with the trick with the vaccuum to pull a "starter line" through but always ended up breaking off when I tried to to pull the tubing through, regardless of the line type I used. I'll check out the fish tape you recommend.

Cheers!
What type of string did you use? I’ve had good luck with fishing line.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers!
If you can get a line through with the vac, I suggest using some Ideal, Klein or similar pull sting, like the below. It has a couple of hundred pound break strength and works very well. It is also cheaper than the fish tape and should work well, as you can get the string through the pex.

Anohter trick is to use a "set of rolling bend knots" to ensure the pull string does not come off the 1/4" pipe. Below is a link to a video for cat5e, as it acts similar to 1/4" line in regards to bending and the string wanting to slip. This video is a really good representation of what should be done with the pull string

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 162 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back