Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heheh, did you expect anything else hehehe
LOL, but what I noticed is surprising. You would think a probe would be responsive. Neither one is totally accurate, though the GHL is closer, but to actually respond to adding salt to a 100 gal mixing tank, you would think they would respond. They do respond, BUT, one takes a few days to do so...HMMM!!!

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this when you start with ATO water, and then add the salt? Or adding ATO already to the mixing station and then adding more salt to being salinity up?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this when you start with ATO water, and then add the salt? Or adding ATO already to the mixing station and then adding more salt to being salinity up?
I mix it in a 5 gal bucket to dilute before adding it the 100g container. I do this a few times to raise the salinity. Both the GHL and Apex probe are mounted next to each other. My ATO 100g container is separate. I have a 200g mixing station, one is for RO/DI and the other is for mixing.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on taking the leap!!!

Don't let a controller intimidate you. In truth, they really aren't hard. It is just something else you have to learn. I posted a ton of how to videos from @Vinny@GHLUSA and @Ditto on the GHL controller, its a sticky thread at the top of the controller forum. I would watch them a bunch of times to make almost secondary in knowing what the controller does.

Welcome to the GHL family.
Thanks!

It will be here Wednesday....too bad I have to work and cant get to until maybe Friday night.

I'm looking forward to it.

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it took me a long time to decide that my computer for my new sps tank will be GHL.
This post helped me a lot !

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>500 posts! Nice. How is the GHL P4 system working out for you? At some point I will add a controller to my upgraded tank. I already have the GHL doser, so it makes me lean towards the GHL system naturally. I hate the app connectivity, but it seems to connect just fine hardwired to the computer if I need to make any dosing adjustments.

Do you have a brief summary of everything you have your P4 controlling? Seems like you might be maximizing its capabilities more than most users.

Also because you use both GHL and Apex, do you notice any drift in either of the brand's probes more than the other? Hard to say which is more accurate since they're all very hobby grade equipment, but I think if one has less drift / is more stable, then it might be more beneficial than frequent calibrations. How often do you run them through a calibration?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>500 posts! Nice. How is the GHL P4 system working out for you? At some point I will add a controller to my upgraded tank. I already have the GHL doser, so it makes me lean towards the GHL system naturally. I hate the app connectivity, but it seems to connect just fine hardwired to the computer if I need to make any dosing adjustments.

Do you have a brief summary of everything you have your P4 controlling? Seems like you might be maximizing its capabilities more than most users.

Also because you use both GHL and Apex, do you notice any drift in either of the brand's probes more than the other? Hard to say which is more accurate since they're all very hobby grade equipment, but I think if one has less drift / is more stable, then it might be more beneficial than frequent calibrations. How often do you run them through a calibration?
As of right now, I have a GHL P4, KHD, 3 6E powerbars, 2 stand alone dosers/ 1 is tied to the KHD, 1 expansion box on my mixing station, and several cards added to the P4 and expansion box. I still need to order a part to add my Abyzz A200 to my GHL to control it with the GHL. I am waiting on the IOND. I just haven't had time to post it, but, I noticed a big difference in the salinity probe, especially on my mixing station. The Apex probe does some funny things. When I get time, I will post my findings on the salinity probe. Connectivity of the P4 can be a little suspect at times, but, I never had any issue on my phone, and that is what I use any controller for, to monitor and address any issues while I am not home. I do feel the GHL probes are more stable. I don't calibrate probes as often as I should, but, I really don't use the probes except to see a trend in one way or the other. I still use a refractometer and temp probe to check periodically. I usually only calibrate probes when I am doing a comparison between the Apex and GHL so I don't have to here it down the road. In truth, I like the GHL better than the Apex overall. After getting use to the interface, I actually like it better than fusion because it doesn't have all the flash, it simply has what you need. Also, with Apex telling me to send in 3 EB832 energy bars because they could not find out what was wrong with the current sensors and such after I recalibrated them and then they dialed into my computer and did the same, YEA!!! Its about the build quality to me, and I feel GHL is ahead on the parts quality used to build the equipment.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great utility. I should try to figure this error out before jumping into the full controller system. Makes sense to make adjustments on the fly, away from home, when the IOND is telling you the alk is off, for example. I will be away from the tank often. I've hardwired the doser to the pc several times and checked updates and tried power cycling it as well as reconnect to wifi. Still no dice. It used to work from my phone until one day this is the only message I get on mobile app for android. Always wondered if the apple version is better, too. I'd change phones if the app was flawless on iOS.

20220430_184906.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying something a little different in my mixing station. I usually mixed the salt in a 5gal bucket and then dumped it in the 100 gal mixing tank. This time around I am simply adding the salt to the barrel to see it I see any difference as dumping salt straight into the barrel is even harder on the equipment than mixing a slurry and dumping it.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great utility. I should try to figure this error out before jumping into the full controller system. Makes sense to make adjustments on the fly, away from home, when the IOND is telling you the alk is off, for example. I will be away from the tank often. I've hardwired the doser to the pc several times and checked updates and tried power cycling it as well as reconnect to wifi. Still no dice. It used to work from my phone until one day this is the only message I get on mobile app for android. Always wondered if the apple version is better, too. I'd change phones if the app was flawless on iOS.

20220430_184906.jpg
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Have you updated the firmware yet?

@Ditto
@Vinny@GHLUSA

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, it's always been up to date.

Maybe an android issue that iOS doesn't experience. Connectivity is pretty bad from the app.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, it's always been up to date.

Maybe an android issue that iOS doesn't experience. Connectivity is pretty bad from the app.
Surprising, as I also use a android and don't have any issues. I use a Samsung Galaxy S20+.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe its the old router. I could always start there and get a new one.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the controller app still Windows library based or can I finally use it anywhere in a browser? This was the main turn off for me over the Apex solution, also I use the DOS for auto water changes and to turn on and FMM with solenoid to turn on and off RODI unit. Would love to consider something else to replace Apex.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the controller app still Windows library based or can I finally use it anywhere in a browser? This was the main turn off for me over the Apex solution, also I use the DOS for auto water changes and to turn on and FMM with solenoid to turn on and off RODI unit. Would love to consider something else to replace Apex.
I have found it no harder to use than the Apex app.

@Vinny@GHLUSA
@Ditto

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give the opposite opinion to Bill, I find my Profilux miserable to use versus Apex. It’s very subjective, some people are fine with it, I hate it.

The main GHL client is still an outdated crusty windows app, and you will occasionally need to use this for some things. Most stuff you can use the phone app for but that has its own quirks. Their is cloud connectivity or you can setup a VPN at home to really have access anywhere.

For AWC I use a dual head Stenner pump. Also use a single for topoff. Keep an eye out for a deal on used ones. I trust them more than hobby pumps and they are fully serviceable.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have multiple connectivity options to choose from, GHL Control Center (Windows) is just one of them.
  • GHL Connect app (iOS or android)
  • Web browser (Mac, Windows or mobile)
  • GHL Control Center (Windows)
Right out of the box, you can start setting it up through your phone using a web browser or app.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back